1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mpeg to SVCD

Discussion in 'Video - Software discussion' started by Chasehome, Jan 15, 2002.

1. Chasehome

Chasehome Guest

I have made the mpeg using tmpeg. But I can't seem to create a SVCD. I have used vcdeasy but it says that it cannot burn the cd in the final phase. So I used easy cd creator 5.0 platnium, and it says that it cannot use my particular mpeg file.
    Now I am getting suggestions to use Nero.
    But what is my problem with tmpeg, and easy cd creator 5.0? When the mpeg plays fine on the pc.

2. dRD

dRD I hate titles Staff Member

Well, basically everything plays OK with PC, even freaking AVIs :)

Ok, I assume that your problem is with SVCD encoding -- you know that SVCD is pretty much different than VCD (read good descs for both at http://www.afterdawn.com/glossary/ ).

Ok, when you have your source and you load it with TMPGEnc, click from bottom-right corner the Load button to load SuperVideoCD template -- one that matches with your original source material (NTSC, FILM or PAL). Then set your settings using the settings page -- remember that max. bitrate needs to be less than appx. 2200kbit/sec because otherwise it's not SVCD compliant.

And I don't really know much about EasyCD Creator, but at least version 4 didn't support SuperVCD burning. I always use Nero for SVCD burning. Nero can be purchased from here:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00005BGB2/afterdawncom

3. Chasehome

Chasehome Guest

If I am understanding right, you are saying that if I didn't use the right template when making the mpeg then that is where I may have my problem?
    The orginal DVD was in NTSC widescreen format, and I used a combo software package by VCDeasy to rip and encode the movie, and then to split the movie into two halves.
    I choose to use a 16:9 with 625 lines pal format for the template. I followed the recomendations on the website of VCDeasy, and it said to keep the ratio's equivilent to that of the original. But if this was wrong then I need to go back two steps and re-encode the file again?

4. Chasehome

Chasehome Guest

I downloaded the demo of Nero, and it tells me that the mpeg I created is a mpeg2 and I need to convert it into a mpeg1 in order to be burned into a VCD.
    I believe that may be the problem that I was having with Easy CD creator.
    I will read up on the difference between mpeg2 and mpeg1 but until then does anyone have any suggestions on how to convert?

5. dRD

dRD I hate titles Staff Member

Nonono, if it is in MPEG-2 it is for SuperVCD -- just select SVCD as your format and Nero will accept it. You don't need to convert it to anything.

6. Chasehome

Chasehome Guest

Well I am no longer a SVCD virgin. I have successfully burned my first SVCD. Thanks to your help "webmaster". However now that I have done it I would like to understand the final step a little better.
    I used VCDeasy to create something called a bin/cue file. What is that and why do I need it?
    Why can I not use VCDeasy to create this file and then do the SVCD burn without using Nero?