1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MPEG/WMV & Internet Explorer Problem...

Discussion in 'Windows - Software discussion' started by Dingus88, May 28, 2007.

1. Dingus88

Dingus88 Member

I updated Nero today, and I'm thinking that I must have done something wrong during installation...I didn't choose it as the default player for anything but something is screwy.

Prior to updating Nero, when I clicked on an MPEG or WMV from within IE7, Media Player would load and start to play the video immediately or start buffering/streaming it.

Now, MPEGs bring up a 'page not found' on first attempt, infinite loading on second attempt and on. WMVs bring up a window like I am downloading the video, although nothing is saved on my HDD and the video plays in Media Player once complete.

Any suggestions on getting this back to the way it was?

2. MasterChu

MasterChu Guest

Moving to Langjökull in Iceland - so all the info I posted is moving with me!

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 11, 2007
  3. Dingus88

Dingus88 Member

Masterchu-

I forgot to mention that I'm running Vista/WMP11 now, so the options screen looks completely different. There's not even a "File Types" tab anymore.

Any other suggestions?

4. MasterChu

MasterChu Guest

5. Dingus88

Dingus88 Member

Masterchu-

Yeah, I've stumbled upon that window before during this problem - but still haven't been able to fix it.

I posted a more detailed description of the problem I'm having on the Microsoft Newsgroups - I'm going to paste it in here to help clarify what is going on even more:
    ----------
    "Nero updates so often I usually wait until major changes take place and then install the updates. Yesterday I did this, and now links to MPEG and WMV files from webpages no longer START correctly. I did not make Nero the default player for any type of file, so no file/program associations have been changed.

Prior to this update, when I clicked on a WMV or MPEG link from a website, WMP11 would load immediately and either begin playing the file or buffering/streaming it. Now, MPEG files take me to a 'unable to load webpage' page, while WMVs bring up a small window as if I were downloading it to a temporary location. After the download is complete, then WMP11 loads and plays the file. There is no file saved on my computer once this completes, however.

Uninstalling Nero completely (using their own General CleanTool) and
    removing any other traces of it has not solved this problem.

I have no problem playing WMVs or MPEGs that are saved on my computer (desktop, downloads, video directories, etc.) - all of the files (WMV, MPEG, AVI, MOV, FLV, ATI VCR, etc.) all still play automatically in their respective players. Embedded video (EBaums)and video pop-up windows (GameSpot) are working correctly as well. The problem I am having is with VIDEO LINKS FROM WEBSITES ONLY. I cannot find any options within IE7 or WMP11 that associate with one
    another with regards to movie files.

Any suggestions? (And thanks for any help!)"
    ----------
    Okay, that's the full description of what is going on. I have had similar problems in previous versions of WMP in Windows XP after installing other video programs (The DivX codec/player, Quicktime) where they have hijacked file associations. However, in XP and older versions of WMP - you have been able to roll back WMP and then reupdate it so that it takes control of web content. With WMP11 and Vista, there is nothing to roll back to. I can't uninstall/reinstall WMP11 so this solution no longer works.

Sorry for making this so long, but it's so frustrating to have what seems like such a simple problem and not being able to fix it!

Thanks again.

6. MasterChu

MasterChu Guest

7. Dingus88

Dingus88 Member

No go on that either. This is driving me nuts. I guess I will keep working on it.

I seriously hope that I don't have to wait until an update for WMP11 becomes available to fix this!