1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

mpeg1 >> mpeg2 .... for home dvd player?

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by CaptChaos, Aug 25, 2003.

1. CaptChaos

CaptChaos Member

Hi again .....

I have searched (promise! lol) for exactly what i "need" here but not sure if I found the right tutorial/thread .... so here's what I want to do .....

I have got a few music mpg's (mpeg1 I believe) .... Now, I'd like to do 2 things:

1) Change the format so they will play on my standalone home dvd player, and

2) Maybe put a few mpeg's on one dvd+r disc to make a sort of "compilation".

Are any of these possible?

Cheers,

Ian

2. herbsman

herbsman Moderator Staff Member

Open Nero Burning Rom and select > CD > Compile a CD > Other Video Formats > Video CD
    Just drag n drop and when finished filling up 750-800Mb...burn !!;-)

Peace

3. Yuriv

Yuriv Regular member

Or, if you want to put them on DVD-R, ensure that that the video meets DVD specs (VCD specs are acceptable in the DVD format) and that the audio is compatible (48Khz), and import them to a DVD authoring tool like TMPGEnc DVD Author.
    YOu can make a DVD with VCD-compliant MPEG1 files, but the frequency of VCD audio has to be converted before it will work in aDVD player.

4. CaptChaos

CaptChaos Member

ok .... so I cant just drop the mpeg1's onto dvd+r?

Ive got NeroVision (within Nero) & started that up & it seemed to try to encode the mpeg .... will doing that work?

5. CaptChaos

CaptChaos Member

oh yes ...

The original mpeg1's are either vcd or svcd (havent worked out quite which yet) .... will it be worth changing to dvd mpeg2 (using NeroVisionExpress) or will the quality just get worse than it already is by converting it? Or should I just either drop them onto a dvd+r (assuming they are already vcd/svcd "compatible") and play them on my home dvd player, or should I bite my knuckles & stick them on cd-r's, which I'd rather not do, just because I'd prefer to have them all on one dvd rather than 3 or 4 cd-r's .... Cheers

6. Yuriv

Yuriv Regular member

Of course conversion will lower the quality of your video a certain degree, that is why I suggest that you use the basic MPEG1 file.
    I can think of two possible problems:

1) Maybe the MPEG1 files are not VCD compatible (NTSC 352x240, 1150Kbps, 29.97fps) or maybe the the file is VCD compatible but you have not converted the audio to make it DVD compatible (VCD is 44Khz while DVD requires 48Khz). In either of these cases they would be considered candidates for re-encoding.

2) I have no experience with Nero Vision, but maybe it is not sophisticated enough to "know" that VCD MPEG1 files are acceptible in the DVD standard. IN this case, something liek TMPGEnc DVD Author would be a little more reliable.

Check out http://www.dvdrhelp.com/dvd for a full rundown of the various file specifications that are acceptable when authoring a DVD (there are more allowed permutations than you might have imagined).