1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MPEG1 (VCD) codec problem

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by PCThug, Apr 19, 2005.

1. PCThug

PCThug Guest

Hi, I recently re-installed XP onto a new HDD and now my videos with MPEG1 (VCD) codec can't play properly. I can see picture and I get audio but the picture is far from smooth. Its jumpy. On the previous install of XP I had no probs playing them with Win Media Player 10 and I'm usisng the same codecs I had before.
    The codecs I have installed are NIMO 5.0. Build 9, FFDShow, Ogg Vorbis, Windows Media Player 8 & 9 codecs, Indeo5, Voxware Metasound and DivX 5.2.1. I used the configurations as recommended from this thread:

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/48608

I've tried playing the vids in Win Media Player10, DivX Player, Real Player 10 and Nero's Media Player, but get the same result everytime. Since I can get a picture and audio I assumed I had the codec installed, but according to a program called AVIcodec, which tells you what codecs you have installed, I don't have the MPEG1 (VCD) video codec or the Mpeg-1 audio Layer 2 codec installed. I tried searching the net, using Google of course, looking for the codec to download to see if it would fix the prob, but I couldn't find it anywhere. Does anyone know where I can get it from?

Thanks,

PCThug.

2. aldaco12

aldaco12 Active member

It seems this is a problem of your OS, because mpeg-1 files play properly (and windows XP ahs also mpeg-2 support). Usually you need Mpeg-1 audio Layer 2 codec only to create MP2 files, not to listen to them. For instance, can't you hear MP3 music files?
    For example you could do this tesi: if your PC cannot play smoothly AVIs (which use MP3 audio) but play music MP3 audio files, there's someting bad on your WMP configuration.

3. PCThug

PCThug Guest

I can view avi's smoothly and get audio and I can listen to mp3s all without a problem. Its only the vids that use the MPEG1 codec that have a problem. I hope I don't have to re-install XP again. I'll play around with WMP anyway and hopefully rectify the prob.

Thanks,

PCThug.

4. wanttono

wanttono Member

Hi
    I will follow this thread because I have a similiar prob
    wxp sp2 won't play my music "wave" and 98% of my vids don't work anymore..mpeg1 (so far) this started all of a sudden ..I thought it was when I uninstalled quick time ..but was not sure
    Frank

5. aldaco12

aldaco12 Active member

It seems your Windows DirectShow interface is not working well. Did you installed some strange codec packs?

Just to try, try to download the nice (and free) program DirectShow Filter Manager (http://www.softpedia.com/get/Multimedia/Video/Codec-Packs-Video-C... ) and use it to restore DirectShow, removing all 'strange' references of applications you installed before...

6. wanttono

wanttono Member

Hi
    Thee link u gave is a 404 not found ..what is the file name u referenced ?
    thanks
    Frank

7. wanttono

wanttono Member

I got mine working ..didn't understand all of the directions..and then someone else came and confused me more with other directions..never got to the end of the "codec" thread ..7 pages later my eyes blurred I used .the direct show filter manager defaulted the direct filters...my dxdiag said everything was ok ?
    I don't know what changed on the pc ..
    I still have info from the program that 9 are "unknown clisd" and they will not delete..mpg4 decoder dmo 43,4s,etc
    Frank