1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MPEG2/mpv files virtual shorter than the orginal mpg/xvid file

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by jansuh, Jun 7, 2003.

1. jansuh

jansuh Member

For days now I am trying to convert some Xvid movie files (with AC3 sound) to VOB or MPEG2 so I can play them on a standalone DVD player. I think I have almost every available tool installed on my computer right now but I keep running into the same problem over and over again. I use virtualDUb to extract the AC3 stream from my XVID movie and convert it using BeSweet to a compliant AC3 stream and a regular WAV file. Then, I use vitualDUB's frameserver and TMPENC (using the regular DVD NTSC template) to create a MPEG2 file. For this I use the WAV file as audio source since the AC3 file can't be handled by TMPENC. So far so good, but now the problem. I would really like my movies to have a Dolby Digital track since I have a nice surround set. But whenever I try to demux the mpg file, the running time of the created mpv file seems to be shorter than the original MPEG2 (or XVID) file when played for instance in windows media player, Bplay, WinDVD or whatever programm. For instance, when I try to convert a 250MB piece of the movie Adapation the original running time is 16:44 minutes (23,760fps), when converted to MPEG2 it still is 16:44 minutes (now 29,76 fps) the WAV and the AC3 files are both 16:44minutes but the Demuxed MPV file shows 9:40 minutes on avery player I use. Here I should emphasize that the actual running time of the MPV indeed is definately NOT 9:40 minutes, the time only seems to be ticking by more slowely (the speed of the video seems to be OK).
    Why do I find this a problem: When I try to combine the MPV file with the AC3 file (using for instance DVDWise) the audio and video are out of sync.

What could be cousing this?? My first guess was the framerate conversion (23,760 to 29,76fps but this doens't seem to be proportional to the difference in running time)

P.S. I also tried other ways to do the same: using CCE and DVD2SVCD but this induces the same problem.

2. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

Frame Per Second conversions can mess up clock counters on many DVD Players. Does the video and sound play as normal, besides the counter, ie do they run consequetively.

The frame rate conversion you are using looks like you are going from a PAL Framerate to NTSC. That, generally, is not recommended_X_X_X_X_X_[small]He who Asks for Nothing, Shall Never be Dissapointed![/small]

Last edited: Jun 7, 2003
  3. jansuh

jansuh Member

Yes both audio and video do run o.k. only the counter of most players doesn't seem to agree.
    The strange thing is that when I convert the mpv file to mpg(2) the counter seems to be ok again but the audio is suddenly out of sync.

4. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

Can you use some sort of AC3 filter to re-sync it with the audio?

5. jansuh

jansuh Member

I found some sort of solution. Instead of converting the divx file to a video mpv file I convert it to a MPG file using TMPGENC. Then I use AC3fix to correct the AC3 file and I join both files using TMPGEnc DVD AUTHOR. This seems to work for me. Only disadvantage is that I really hate TMPGENC dvd author's menu templates ...