1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mpeg2 Playback Problems, Using TMPGEnc

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by daemonzx6, Sep 6, 2004.

1. daemonzx6

daemonzx6 Regular member

I have an .avi file that I converted to Mpeg2 using TMPGEnc 3.0.4.24 XPress, and I can't get it to play on my computer. At first I tried a DVD rip of Fight Club and at first Winamp played the video with no audio. Then it showed the length as only 14 minutes, 10 seconds, still with no audio. Then I tried converting the other .avi video and it showed the length as 14 minutes, 11 seconds, but wouldn't play at all. Went back to Fight Club and now it won't play at all. Does anyone know what's wrong?

2. Minion

Minion Senior member

Going to need More info about your AVI files....

Like what Codec was used to Compress them and what the audio format is ???

Also you should Not use Media Player or WinAmp for Playing Mpeg2 files as they do not play them correctly..
    You should use DVD Playing software Like WinDVD or PowerDVD....

3. daemonzx6

daemonzx6 Regular member

Well, Fight Club was straight from the DVD, and the other was an XviD with mp3 audio.

4. Minion

Minion Senior member

If you were trying to Play a DVD with Winamp it might only be showing the Length as 14 minutes because it is Playing the First Vob file which might only be 14 minutes Long or maybe the first Chapter is 14 minutes long..
    You also need to have a dolby Digital AC3 decoder installed to Hear the audio on DVD"s that is why a Software DVD Player is good as it Installs the correct audio decoders on your system for DVD Playback.....

Also When encodeing AVI files with Tmpgenc the audio in the AVI file should be decompressed first because Tmpgenc doesn"t like Compressed audio especially VBR MP3 which is used on most downloaded movies and Dolby AC3....

You can download an AC3 decoder on this Page:

http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/ac3filter/ac3filter_0_70b.exe?use_mirror=aleron

See if after installing the AC3 codec you can hear the audio from the DVD....
    And if you PM me with your e-mail I can send you a simple tool that will decompress the audio in AVI files for you before you encode them so you shouldn"t have any more audio problems with files you encode useing Tmpgenc....

You should also make sure you have a Good Mpeg2 Decoder installed so you can Properly Play back DVD"s and Mpeg2 Files because Media Player and WinAmp dont come with one.....

Cheers

5. daemonzx6

daemonzx6 Regular member

Thanks for the avi decompressor. However, the problem wasn't with the audio when playing the DVD, its after the encoding where the problem arises. TMPGEnc doesn't seem to put any audio in the resulting file it encodes from a DVD. I don't know why, but it just doesn't. Any ideas?

6. Minion

Minion Senior member

You can"t Put VOB files from a DVD into Tmpgenc and expect to get any audio...
    Like I said before Tmpgenc doesn"t support Dolby AC3 audio which is the audio format used on Retail DVD"s...
    If you want to encode Files off of a DVD the best method is to use the DVD2AVI Frameserving method, Or you Demux and decode the audio from the VOB files and use the Decoded audio....