1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

mpg file copied from svcd folder...now need help!

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by mrchub, Mar 21, 2005.

1. mrchub

mrchub Regular member

Hi, could use some help with mpg files I've taken from SVCDs which won't play properly by themselves on my Philips DVP642 set-top dvd/divx player. Here's what I've done so far:

1) downloaded two sets of bin/cue files representing two SVCDS
    2) used Nero to create the SVCDs (selecting image recorder instead of actually burning discs)
    3) used Daemon Tools to mount the SVCD images, then copied the AVSEQ01.MPG files from each SVCD's MPEG2 folder to another folder on my desktop
    4) previewed the resulting mpg files on my PC to make sure they still looked the same as they did as SVCDs, then burned them to a dvd-r with Nero and stuck them in my Philips, assuming they'd play great as other mpg files have.

The problem is I get the red VCD logo on my Philips (instead of the mpg2 logo I usually get), and when I start to play the files they are completely blocky/pixelated with weird color bars everywhere.

Apparently all mpg files aren't created equal, even though the files play great by themselves in Window Media Player, Nero Showtime, or any other software app. Obviously extracting a "good" mpg2 file from a SVCD isn't just as simple as yanking the mpg file out of it. Is there some extra info attached to the mpg file in a SVCD that causes it to act so funky when viewed naked?

Since, like a true genius, I've already deleted the original bin/cue files AND the SVCD files I created from them, I'm kind of stuck. Can someone please tell me how I can process these mpg files to make them compatible on the DVP642? I have Womble and VirtualDub. Thanks for any help!

2. Minion

Minion Senior member

To Put SVCD Files on to DVD you don"t need to do any Encodeing of Converting But you do need to use certain pieces of software....

After Extracting the SVCD Mpeg-2 files to your HD (AVSEQ01.MPG) just Load them into a DVD authoring program called "MediaChance DVDLab" (Or the Pro version) and it will Make a DVD out of the SVCD Files without re-encodeing the Files which degrades the Quality and you will be able to fit up to 3 Full SVCD Movies on each DVD-R when in SVCD Format and these DVD"s should Play on Most all DVD Players even those that don"t support SVCD"s..(They work in my Sony Player that doesn"t support SVCD"S)

You can download a fully working 30 day demo version of DVDLab at :

"http://www.mediachance.com/dvdlab/"

This is the Very best method for Backing up SVCD"s to DVD as I did my Whole 400 movie SVCD Collection to DVD this way and Didn"t have a single Problem with any of the Movies and I have Tried them on Many different DVD Players..also there is No Quality Loss useing this Method which there is if you use Nero or other Such programs cuz they will re-encode the Files which ruins the Quality and Greatly increases the File size....

Cheers

PS: You can also use ISO Buster or VCDEasy to extract the Mpeg-2 files from the SVCD"s..This will make a Trie Mpeg file without the RFF Header....

Last edited: Mar 21, 2005
  3. mrchub

mrchub Regular member

Thanks very much. Your PS is actually the part I needed, since with a Philips DVP642 there's no need to author an actual dvd (whether or not the authoring app re-encodes the mpg file) in order to get it to play mpg or avi files. I gather it's the RFF header which was causing the problem. In any event, I ran the AVSEQ01.MPG files through Womble and exported them without making any chances and now the files magically play just fine. Thx again.

4. Minion

Minion Senior member

Hi, Yes if you run the File through Womble it will remove the RFF Header...What you should also do is in Womble if you go to "Tools" to "Gop Fixer" and Run the File through it useing the Bottom most Option then it will Fix any Audio/Video Time Code errors and Fix any Problems with the GOP and Fix any other errors in the Header....

Cheers

5. aldaco12

aldaco12 Active member

It's very confusing, for SVCDs. For VCD the riff file is called 'AVSEQ01.DAT' , not 'AVSEQ01.MPG'.
    To stick to freeware applications, simply use VCDGear and do, in the 1st screen, [bold] mpeg -> mpeg [/bold] (absurd name for a conversion, due to the crazy name that the riff SVCD movies have.....