1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

.MPG file gets too big when i try yo burn SVCD

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by wolw, Oct 5, 2004.

1. wolw

wolw Member

Hi Guys/Gals !

I consider myself quite bright, but in the effort to burn a SVCD i found myself being a dumbass. It does not work. I tried to burn a movie concisting of two files (The Day After Tomorrow - DVDrip SVCD SweSub cd1(2)(O-Lee).mpg) 794Mb X2 into SVCD discs, when i start SVCD in nero it looks allright, but when nero had a look at it, i can see that the disc i'm about to burn is +1Gb. By looking att the filename it seems to me that it's "ready" to burn? Is nero going to "span" it automatically or what ? Please help me out, kinda new to this, haven't bothered before but i just got broadband, so i though i make the most of it ;)

Thanx in advance

//Peter

2. aldaco12

aldaco12 Active member

Since a 80' CD is made by 360,000 sectors and 1 sector=2048 bytes (data) or 2336 bytes (movie) or 2352 bytes (images or music), then max video CD size = 360,000 sectors * 2336 bytes/sector = 840,960,000 bytes, that is about [bold]802 MB[/bold] (for this reason 80' CD is NOT 'ALWAYS' 700 MB, because 700 MB refers as a 'data CD' or 360,000*2048 = 737,280,000 bytes).
    Therefore, a 794 MB .MPEG-2 should fit into a CD. Why, instead, it doesn't? The usual buggy behaviour of Nero, I assume. A VCD image is about 10 MB greater then the size of the movie and therefore there should be no reason for it don't fit into a CD. Unless Nero 'converts' the movie to a higher resolution movie than SVCD (that is > 480x480), therefore using more bytes. But I don't know, I avoid Nero when I deal with this stuff.
    My proposal: read the 'sticky' thread about the '100% working method to make a VCD', use the MPEGs as inputs of VCDEasy (or VCDGear) and look at the BIN/CUE size. Is the .BVIN size larger than [bold]840,960,000 bytes [/bold](you shall use [bold]2336 bytes/sector[/bold] to calculate the [bold] max CUE/BIN size that can be burned into a 360,000 sector CD[/bold], since we deal with a movie image, isn't it?) Maybe you won't need to encode the movies with TMPGenc, first. Just try. And, [bold]please[/bold], you all, stop using Nero for the VCDs, I beg you!
    Does it work?
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]Read forum rules!
    http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/2487[/small]

Last edited: Oct 5, 2004
  3. wolw

wolw Member

principally yes, the size is ok, just a little tweaking then it should work. Downloaded VCDEasy, should get the hang of it.
    Btw your explanation was great, much easier if one know the basics behind.

Thanx !!!!!

//Peter

4. aldaco12

aldaco12 Active member

Last edited: Oct 6, 2004
  5. wolw

wolw Member

Hmm, really can't say, mine is "registred".

I just burned and played then on my DVD, works great even though VCDEasy warned about bitrate and ressolution > 480x480.

//Peter

6. aldaco12

aldaco12 Active member

Very well.
    The warning was that standard NTSC SVCDs have a resolution of 480x480. But if your DVD player reads it, no prob, you're lucky! Otherwise you should have had to re-encode the movie with TMPGenc + the M2V plugin (which enables TMPGenc to load a MPEG-2 file), first. After all, there's a solution for everything. You should have worked more than this, thus.
    Keep the good work and... never use Nero for VCDs!

7. wolw

wolw Member

I would guess that European sold DVD-players works with both PAL & NTSC. Actually it's the cheaper one that works best. Both are Samsung, DVD-HD935 & DVD-E335. Since both are prices in a salecompetition at work i can't complain ;)

//Peter

8. O-Lee

O-Lee Member

Hi,
    I see your problem and this answer may come a bit late. But I think many have this problem. What you need to do in order to burn these mpg-files, wich i prefer to ready-images (cause of the ability to play without using a cddaemon) is to get yourself a recent Nero (if using this program...) and NOT starting the "express" versions.

When having a "good version" of Nero, you are able to "turn of standard compliance". When doing so you can burn these wide-screen movies, wich you ofcource want. Around 80% of all DVD-players playing SVCD is able to play them anyways.

Good luck to you.