1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MPG to VOB/DVD-R

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by BayPally, Apr 16, 2002.

1. BayPally

BayPally Member

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

1:
    I have an entire library of .mpg movies (done in HQ mode, they're about 3-5 gig.) that I'd like to convert to DVD. Got the burner and no problem with DVD to DVD-R backups but when I use ULEAD DVD Movie Factory to convert the mpg files, the stupid output end up at 8 about gig. Obviously 8 gig is not happening. Suggestions?

2:
    What's up with only being able to burn 4.36 gig on a "4.7"gig disk?

3:
    Also, I've used Smart Ripper and CladDVD. Is there any functional difference between the two? Clad seems faster to me.

4:
    FYI, Tons of 4.7 DVD media is floating around ebay about around 2.00 per disk and Pacific Multimedia has a perfectly functional 4.7 DVD-R for about 350.00...

Thanks,

BayPally

2. dRD

dRD I hate titles Staff Member

1:
    If your clips are in MPEG-2 format, you should be able to author the DVD directly from them using DVD authoring tool like Primo Prassi, DVDIt or if you are really out of options, SpruceUp. This way your filesize stays appx. the same.

2:
    4.7 is marketing hype b.s. It means basically "4,700,000,000" bytes and in real computer world kilo/mega/giga are not multiplies of 1000, but 1024 instead. -> 4.36GB

3:
    No real functional difference, both are pretty much based on VobDec and vStrip (commandline CSS decrypters). SmartRipper has some neat features that some need and clad somehow is able to unlock certain DVDs Smart can't. I prefer SmartRipper, but that's mostly because cladDVD's creator originally ripped his website layout from AfterDawn.com and took it down only after we send him few angry emails. (not this layout, but the previous, mega-graphics-y layout we had)

4:
    cd-recordable.com -- $1.59/DVD-R. And Pioneer A04 ships for $450 or less and supports DVD-RW..

3. BayPally

BayPally Member

Re: 1:
    If your clips are in MPEG-2 format, you should be able to author the DVD directly from them using DVD authoring tool like Primo Prassi, DVDIt or if you are really out of options, SpruceUp. This way your filesize stays appx. the same.

Question about Primo Prassi V2.X: I got it free with the Pioneer A03 (the price was definately right). I tried the method suggested in one of the threads here with primo for DVDtoDVD-R. Essentially, Use DVD Decrypt. to pull the main movie off the DVD and remove the encryption. This leaves one .ifo and several .vobs in a VIDEO_TS folder. I then open the primo wizard and "go to it". Everything looks cool until I press the record button and then I get a message that an error occured. When I look at the error code it's something like "disks good(0) disks bad(1)...". I'd think I have a bad disk except I can drop a data directory into primo and it burns fine using the same cheap 4.7G DVD-R General disks.

To make matters worse, I've got some other programs to burn the DVD and can tell it to use UDF and create the VIDEO_TS directory and AUDIO_TS directory and add the files to the VIDEO_TS from the DVD Decrypt. session above and it still won't play on either of my dvd's. They both give a "disk error". I can, obviously, read the .vobs directly on the PC so it's not a decryption or data corruption issue. I'm just stupid, I guess.

I have no problems when I go the long way: decrypt - dvd2avi - blah blah blah then write it out with Ulead. Plays fine in the DVD.

I know I'm missing something basic in all of the various methodologys.

What am missing, Oh Great One?

-Drew

4. Uncle

Uncle Member

Im using DVD Maestro to convert Mpeg video to authored vobs, its dead easy.

all you need to be sure off is that your Video is 352X480 or 704x480 or 720x480 (NTSC) or 352,704 or 720x576 (Pal)
    Also your sound needs to be 48khz, if your mpegs are of this standard you will be burning DVDr in no time

5. hindenlud

hindenlud Guest

to uncle:i cant find dvd maestro.apple bought it i have spruce.thanks.nelnan@msn.com

6. Gigabyte

Gigabyte Member

Hello BayPally
    I'm severly new to DVD authoring myself, only had the sony DVD+RW about a week and am trying to make a 1.84 GB 1:50hrs mpeg a dvd movie.

On apr 17th you mentioned a problem with your mpegs jumping up in size when converted to DVD format using ULEAD DVD.

I've had the same experience, my movie in segments, which are all about 2 or 3 hundred meg, jump up to 800mpg or more when I use neoDVD to convert them to dvd format.

I was wondering if you have recieved better results with one of the authoring tools recommended by dRD.

I'd appeciate any feedback.