1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MPG2 Won't Play on Home DVD Player

Discussion in 'Video playback problems' started by esbeem, Jun 19, 2007.

1. esbeem

esbeem Member

I had a MiniDV camcorder that was easy to use. I copied my home movies to my desktop computer, and then I could just right click and "Copy to DVD" as many dvds as I wanted. I just bought a Sony HDD and it is impossible. I transferred a home movie to my desktop and it plays on my computer. However, whenever I burn a dvd of it, it does not play on my home dvd player. An error message comes up. The camera software comes with PIXELA. I have called their help line eight times to no avail. The only consistent answer I got was that I have more than one dvd burning software programs on my computer and they are competing with each other. So, the multiple streams are not going through correctly. To test this out, I saved one of the MPEG files to a thumb drive and transferred it to my laptop. My laptop burned the sample file fine. The guy at PIXELA said that I have to uninstall all of my dvd burning software except one--theirs. However, I have always been able to use multiple software burning programs on my computer (1-Click and Copy to DVD). I am so frustrated it is unbelievable. I am not a novice at computers, but I cannot figure out how to burn my home movies on my desktop now. I don't know what is different now than before. I have never had this problem. HELP!!

2. attar

attar Senior member

This DVD that won't play on the standalone player, will it play on your PC or your laptop?
    Have you made any hardware changes to your PC?

Last edited: Jun 20, 2007
  3. esbeem

esbeem Member

Yes. The burned dvd will play on the desktop that it was created on and my laptop. I have tried the same dvd on two different home dvd players and it does not work. I did make a harware change. I replaced my NEC dvd player with a Sony dvd burner and I upped the memory to 1.5 gigs. I can copy movies and cds with the new burner fine, it's just my home movies that I cannot do. Thank you for your reply. I am at my wits end.

4. attar

attar Senior member

That would seem to say that there's nothing wrong with the burner.
    The Pixela software presumably must be converting your home movies to DVD format before burning the DVD.

If you knew where it stored them then you could use other software to burn the DVD.

Instead of using the Pixela software to convert and burn, see if this works:

Take your MPEG file and load it into this program and see if it will convert it to DVD format.

http://dl.afterdawn.com/vsoDivxToDVD_setup_v0.5.2b.exe
    Import the file(s) (AVI, MPEG, VOB)
    Output (standard DVD file format) to a folder on the HDD.
    Set 'Aspect' to 4:3 (if you have a regular tv)
    Set 'Standard' to NTSC (if you live in North America)

If it converts it, click on the largest file in the output folder and check that it plays back ok.
    Then you can use another program to burn to DVD.

5. esbeem

esbeem Member

Holy cow!! It works! That was perfect. When the images go move quickly it is a little grid-like, but it works. What does this mean (that it converts with this program but couldn't otherwise)? I was told that MPEG is VOB. I uninstalled Pixela and it still wouldn't play on my home dvd player until now. How can I get it back to normal without the converter? Thank you, thank you.

6. attar

attar Senior member

Are you referring to the files in the new output folder when you select one to play, or are you referring to the DVD that you burned from this folder?
    The original files, fresh from the cam, when played on the PC are the best it's going to be.
    The files in the folder that you converted, should be about the same quality.
    There should not be any difference when they end up on the DVD, unless the disk is poor quality or it was burned faster than 4x.

7. esbeem

esbeem Member

I did not burn a file directly from the camcorder. It was from the file on my computer; but, it recorded previously on my laptop without the converter and it played fine with no grid-like pattern. The pattern only comes up when recorded with the converter on the desktop. I know the problem is technically fixed, but I would like to have the same quality as what it was recorded in. You said that if it writes over 4x it might also affect it. Why is that? How do I fix that? Sorry so many questions.

8. attar

attar Senior member

If I understand properly, the original file plays ok on yout PC.
    After conversion by DivXtoDVD, the output file has a pixelated or 'blocky' appearance when you play it with your media player.
    It should not look like this and I would try a different media player.
    'VLC' or 'Media Player Classic' to be certain.

If the problem still persists, you can download the trial version of ConvertXtoDVD and try the conversion again:
    http://www.vso-software.fr/products/convert_x_to_dvd/

The software used to burn the DVD usually asks what burning speed you wish to use.Faster burning allows more chances for burning errors.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2007
  9. esbeem

esbeem Member

I think I'll try one of the alternative burners you suggested (VLC)and I'll see if that does the trick.