1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

mr.data 80mins/700mb

Discussion in 'CD-R(W) Media' started by daddyo, Oct 24, 2003.

1. daddyo

daddyo Member

hi again

i finally got my last problem sorted thanx too a couple of mods on here so id like to say thanx for that 1st :O)

anyway my next problem is,when burning a vcd it goes all the way through and says completed but when i play it back im missin the last 4 or 5 minutes from each disc,is it a something im doin wrong or is the media not to reliable

if it is the media could you also lmk which media you think i should go for

cheerz for the help

2. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

1. How to determine the real manufacturer of your media:

CDRIdentifier allows you to read the ATIP on a blank cdr(w) (ATIP is essentially a code embedded into a CDR(W) that allows you to identify what company actually manufacturered the disc (as opposed to what company marketed it). For more info visit http://www.cd-rw.org/software/cdr_software/cdr_tools/cdridentifier.cfm or http://www.gum.de/cdrid/

2. Burn your VCDs sloooooooooooowly. This will limit the anomolies you may encounter later

3. Also check out the file you used to burn the VCD. If you have a DAT/MPG/MPEG file just drag and drop it into a software DVD player. If its a BIN file you have, you will need to extract the DAT/MPG/MPEG first and then do the same thing. The reason here is to check if the source file you are using to burn is missing the last five minutes.

To extract data from CD Images using CDMage, first open the image using CDMage (or drag-n-drop). Note that you have to correctly select the input parameters in order to open it (trial and error will suffice). Once the image is opened, goto the file(s) you want to extract, right click and select 'Extract Files...' provide the destination you want to extract to and whatever settings you desire and click 'Extract' (You can get CDMage from http://cdmage.orcon.net.nz/frames.html)

4. The VCD, in minutes & seconds how long is it actually and how long is it expected to be? Note that a 700MB disc targets 70 minutes of video per disc and usually less.

3. daddyo

daddyo Member

cheerz for that mate worked perfectly burning it at a slower speed

one last thing is it always best to burn it at a slower speed or will it ussually be ok burning faster

cheerz

4. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

As a general guideline:
    -AudioCDs: 12x max
    -(S)VCDs: 12x max
    -CDImages: depending on the protection, filesize, etc: 4x-52x but if uncertain, 8x
    -DataCDs: if no overburning, you can easily get away with 52x on good media. Overburning kills this down to the 4x-8x range. For mission critical stuff, use good media and burn at 1x. For general purpose DataCDs, 24x is a good number to aim for
    -MixedMode/CDEXTRA: 12x max