1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mr. Moderator, I Have A Posting Policy Question

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 - Modding & Hacking' started by raysuave, Feb 10, 2007.

1. raysuave

raysuave Regular member

Below is a question to the moderator I had asked in one of my other posts about Crackdown that was never answered so I thought I would make it the subject of this thread. I'm not trying to beat a dead horse or anything, I just want clarification on whats allowed and what isn't.

Mr. Moderator, I don't understand how when I posted links to an nzb is not allowed when people explain on here tell people how to use newsgroups to download things and what sites to search for them on all the time????

Below is just one of the replies from a memeber and then I asked another question
    If this is the case why can people post all kinds of newsgroup, mIRC, and torrent search sites with no poblem although most have links to the pirated material right on their home page??? I just thought we couldn't post direct download links to the pirated material such as rapidshare links and FTP site links. Please explain so I know how to phrase my future posts.

2. JThomas05

JThomas05 Guest

im not a mod either, but i do know that when you post a link, if it is at all related to piracy it will more than likely be deleted, but posting links to IRC channels and the link is not piracy, you post things from xbins and stuff because it is homebrew therefor its legal, downloading a game that you dont legally own is illegal, and if this site gets into trouble for letting people do it thats a lot of money wasted, this site isnt free to run

3. BurningAs

BurningAs Regular member

because newsgroups you actaully have to know what you are doing and pay- no directly linked

because the torrent site that do get posted are worthless and i dont even see any- no direct link

rapidshare and such direct DLs are illegal and can get AD directly invovled,

ok noob?

4. GCFANATIC

GCFANATIC Member

i see what you mean but...

this is the way i see it...

please try to understand...

1. a direct link to a nzb for downloading purposes is usually pinpointing a set of files and full details of that .rar set, furthermore this is over stepping the mark because you are providing specific links to file details which are protected by international copyright law.

2. when we explain what to do on newsgroups for example, the 3 steps, 1.usenetserver...open account 2.newsleecher...newsreader 3.http://www.abgx.net/filename/?ch=6

we are explaining to members generally what they need to look at, we are not pinpointing specific files or .rar sets...this is the problem.

so try and keep your threads and posts general, point people in the right direction but do not link to nzb's.

for example you could have said crackdown in the usual places or the usenet.

the problem is you have been too specific, i would say if you wanted to be more specific try chatting on abgx's 360 mirc.

last point, i can see why this has made you frustrated, i hope now you have a little more understanding on this topic.

you MUST own the original to play your backed up game.

5. raysuave

raysuave Regular member

What I did earlier was post to a page with a link to an nzb on it, I was really posting the page for people to read the comments at the bottom because some of them were apart of my initial question. I have seen on here plenty times where people post links to search sites with the sites newest pirate links right on the homepage. For instance on the homepage of the nzb site, www.&&&matrix.com, they have all types of nzb links right on their homepage.

Look dude, please re-phrase what you are saying because it only half way made sense.

Only thing I understand now is that the rules aren't being enforced all the time so really, I made the mistake of looking at what other people have posted in trying to see the limits of referencing to "back-up" materials.

6. Oner

Oner Moderator Staff Member

It is simple and the rules explain everything (link in my signature)

So to recap, you can post a link to a site that has pirated content but it CANNOT be a direct downloadable link i.e.

www.ClickThisLinkAndDownloadStarts.com - PROHIBITED

www.ClickThisLinkBringsYouToMainPageOfSiteThatHasLinksToDownload.com - PERMITTED

Capice?

7. raysuave

raysuave Regular member

Well then what was the big deal about me linking to an nzb site in the first place when my thread got closed, the links weren't direct downloads as in "www.ClickThisLinkAndDownloadStarts.com"???

Last edited: Feb 10, 2007
  8. JThomas05

JThomas05 Guest

it was still a direct link to the site where the download was, all you had to do was look down and it said download crackdown nzb, and that is piracy, and i doubt oner or any other mod or admin or anything else whats this place closed or having a lawsuit filed against them, i personally know that if this got closed, i would have nothing to do with my time, because i like helping people on this site, so think before posting something that could get others in trouble, please!?!?

9. raysuave

raysuave Regular member

So basically it was because the words "download this" was in the link on the page I linked to??? Even if "download this" was not in the link, any person would know that that link lead to a download, just like any person would know that the links on the homepage would lead to a download....and what you just said doesn't match what the moderator stated earlier...
    "So to recap, you can post a link to a site that has pirated content but it CANNOT be a direct downloadable link i.e.

www.ClickThisLinkAndDownloadStarts.com - PROHIBITED

www.ClickThisLinkBringsYouToMainPageOfSiteThatHasLinksToDownload.com - PERMITTED"

I know everybody is thinking I am beating this thing to death but I hope people can see why.

OK between your comments and the moderators comments, right now I sum the whole thing up as this:
    People can't link to a place where a download link is at least one click away?
    People can link to a place where a download link is at least two clicks away?

10. Oner

Oner Moderator Staff Member

If you click a link on THIS site and something illegal downloads that is prohibited plain and simple, we don't have to discuss it more than that. Your "semantics" as to 1 click or 2 clicks is truly not the point. Just follow the rules set forth by this site as that is what is allowed. Not "why can't we..." or "does this seem...".

Last edited: Feb 11, 2007
  11. raysuave

raysuave Regular member

OK, I'm just gonna ignore other replies about this subject because they explain the rules differently than you, with this last comment from you, I still don't understand why my thread was closed by you or another moderator because by your definition, I wasn't breaking any rules.

12. JThomas05

JThomas05 Guest

lol dont keep pushing it, it was closed, dont post anything again that can be considered piracy at all, and you dont have to worry about it, but your probably irritating people and you might get suspended

13. raysuave

raysuave Regular member

Look dude, all I'm trying to do is get a clarification on the rules when you guys tell me something different than the moderator. I don't see whats wrong with trying to find out why the moderator closed my thread when according to him, I wasn't even breaking any rules. I can't even get an answer on why it was closed. This will be my last post on the subject unless the moderator responds.

14. JThomas05

JThomas05 Guest

well PM the mod dont go about continuing to push something after he has already stated why it was closed, dont post anything that may be taken as piracy (or any other rule breaker) and you dont have to worry about getting anything closed