1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MS28 & VIA VT6421 TUTORIAL

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 - Modding & Hacking' started by PS2Menace, Feb 7, 2007.

1. PS2Menace

PS2Menace Regular member

First off, I made this little tutorial for everyone having issues with a M28 drive and a VIA 6421 PCI SATA Card. First off, make sure any and all onboard SATA ports are disabled and make sure the VIA is the only PCI SATA card in your computer. Conflicts arise with more than one PCI SATA Controller card.

What you need :
    Xtreme Bootmaker
    http://www.filefactory.com/file/db53e0/

A VIA 6421A or 6421L chipset PCI SATA Card. Here's the 6421A
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16816132009

Xtreme 5.2 firmware - no link provided. Find in the "usual places"

Firmware Toolbox 3.0
    http://dl.qj.net/360-Firmware-Toolbox-3.0-Homebrew-Application-Xbox-360/pg/12/fid/11825/catid/505

Xtreme Bootmaker will format a floppy or USB stick to use and it can also set up a Harddrive to use with NTFS4DOS. I reccommend using a NEW floppy or USB stick.

Now to setting up xtreme bootmaker to work with your 6421 PCI card.

Open Xtreme Bootmaker and click Open to select your firmware you'd like to use. Since this is a M28 tutorial, you only need to select between xtrem52a/b/c/d

Next put a check mark in "Use Custom MTKFlash" and select your VIA 6421 card. Click Detect ID - I/O.
    Then put a check mark in boxes labeled "M28 Bad Flash Combatibility" and "Apply Boke's patch for MS28 drives"
    Select your target drive (if floppy or USB stick put a checkmark into format and make bootable)

Then click prepare drive. Your floppy,USB, or hard drive is then ready for the flash.

Your Xtreme Bootmaker screen should look like this when done.

[​IMG]

When that's done, turn off the PC and hook up the Samsung 360 Drive SATA cable to the VIA 6421's primary SATA port.

Follow these steps in this order :

1. Turn on the 360
    2. Turn on the PC and boot to DOS with your bootdisk
    3. When you get to the A:> Prompt type this

[​IMG]

4. You should have an option called "xtreme primary", if you do, turn the 360 off
    5. Select xtreme primary and count to 10
    6. Turn the 360 back on and it should read from 0-100 4 times. When it's done and tells you to turn off the PC, power off the 360 and unplug the SATA cable from the VIA 6421.
    7. Boot into Windows
    8. Copy your orig.bin file from your floppy drive to the folder you extracted the xtreme 5.2 firmware.
    9. Open Firmware Toolbox 3.0 and confirm you have a valid orig.bin file. It should look exactly like this picture but with a different key.

[​IMG]

10. Once that is verified, your xtreme 5.2 folder should look like this.

[​IMG]

11. Run the command "make extreme firmware" and select which speed you'd like A/B/C/D (I use A)
    and select you want it to report as a M28(default)

[​IMG]

12. Now you should have a x52a.bin file in your xtreme 5.2 directory (or x52b.bin, x52c.bin, x52d.bin.. whichever you chose)
    13. Open firmware toolbox again and open your x52x.bin file and confirm that it's the same key as orig.bin

[​IMG]

If everything is right, then copy your x52x.bin file to your bootdisk and power down the PC

14. Turn on the 360
    15. Turn on the PC and boot to DOS with your bootdisk
    16. When you get to the A:> Prompt type this "mtkflash w /m /sata x52x.bin" where the x52x is the name of your file and obviously, without the quotations.

[​IMG]

17. You should have an option called "xtreme primary", if you do, turn the 360 off
    18. Select xtreme primary and count to 10
    19. Turn the 360 back on and you will see it flashing. When it's done and tells you to turn off the PC, power off the 360 and unplug the SATA cable from the VIA 6421.
    20. Plug the 360 SATA cable back into the 360 motherboard and test.

Sorry for all the pics, just trying to make this as newbie friendly as possible. Also note, I didn't use DOS to grab these images, that's why it's cmd.exe at the top of the pics.

Hope this helps you all.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2007
  2. sourD

sourD Regular member

Looks great ps2menace, this should save you countless hours copying and pasting this into threads!

3. PS2Menace

PS2Menace Regular member

Yeah, hopefully some of these people notice.

4. JThomas05

JThomas05 Guest

awesome great job, i started to make a tut like this but i got side tracked, looks nicer that the one i would have made though! keep up the good work

5. addflash

addflash Member

Gr8 work mate.I am sure this guide will help lot of new peoples.

Nearly two months ago i flashed my ms25 samsung and u people help me alot here,Thanks to all.

In short what is the diffrence between ms25 and ms28 to hack?I m just asking for knowledge can somebody answer this plz.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2007
  6. SmoothD

SmoothD Member

Because of this tuturial I now feel confident about flashing my 360. Great work! However, "addflash" asked a good question and I hope someone answers. I do not know yet what version samsung drive I have so would be good to know if its not MS28 will this tutorial still work. Also for "PS2Menace", Would it be too much to ask if you can either create or direct me to the best tutorial for backing up games after flashing the drive using this tutorial? I found one for xbox backup creator but it only mentioned the Kreon fw flash. Not sure if its the same thing. Appreciate your time and efforts. Thanks.

7. SmoothD

SmoothD Member

Also, two other quick questions. Do you diable all onboard SATA ports in the BIOS or is there a specific way to do it? Once you make the boot usb flash drive, will the computer automatically boot to the flash drive or do you have to set the computer to do it in the BIOS?

8. pesaddict

pesaddict Member

9. PS2Menace

PS2Menace Regular member

With the M25, you don't need to turn off the 360 before you select "xtreme primary" in dos. Only with the VIA chipset can you do a "bad-flash" aka. 10 second trick. With a m25 this only means that you can use the bad-flash instead of having to use the enable 0800 disc to unlock the firmguard.

10. PS2Menace

PS2Menace Regular member

The method for flashing a M25 with a VIA 6241 card is the exact same except you can exclude turning the 360 off and counting to 10. You only need to do the 10-second method if you want to use the enable 0800 disc to unlock firmguard.

In order to back up your games with a Samsung m25/28 and I'd assume any other firmware revisions is the same. Once you flashed the drive with an xtreme firmware, all you have to do is to burn the enable0800.iso file to a DVD+R DL disc (unless you use xtreme 5.2 which YOU SHOULD... then you can burn to DVD+R) Once done...

Hook your Samsung drive up to the 360 like you're going to flash.
    Turn the 360 on and eject the tray.
    Place the enable 0800 disc in the tray and close it.
    Wait 15-20 seconds, eject the tray, and take out the enable 0800 disc
    Boot PC into Windows and you'll see you have a drive letter for the Samsung.
    Open Xbox Backup Creator and place a 360 disc in the samsung. Wait for Windows to detect a disk change. The label of the disc should be "XBOX360". If it is, then use Xbox Backup Creator to make your .iso and .dvd file. I'm not sure if you need to inject the ss.bin file or not if you use the Samsung to rip. I never rip my own games so I can't help on that particular aspect.

11. PS2Menace

PS2Menace Regular member

I'd disable all onboard SATA in the BIOS (unless Windows is on a SATA HDD)
    You can set the boot order of your PC in the BIOS. My PC can't boot from USB (it's old but still more efficient than 90% of those out now) so If you can, then do so.

12. PS2Menace

PS2Menace Regular member

Last edited: Feb 8, 2007
  13. SmoothD

SmoothD Member

Thanks for clearing up my questions. Appreciate it.

14. PS2Menace

PS2Menace Regular member

No problem.

15. PS2Menace

PS2Menace Regular member

*Bump back to first page*

16. acid5214

acid5214 Guest

Very nice guide. It should be sticked for sure!

17. pesaddict

pesaddict Member

QIA nice ps2menace

18. SmoothD

SmoothD Member

One last question.......When I opened the fw folder in the xtreme5.2 package I realized that there are many to choose from. Just in case my drive happens to be a MS25 and not the MS28, do I still choose the xtreme52a fw or should I be choosing the fw labeled 52a-ms25?

Thanks

(Im going to be opening the 360 tomorrow to do the flash and figured I get this out of the way)

19. PS2Menace

PS2Menace Regular member

Well when you copy your orig.bin file to the xtreme52 folder and run the make xtreme firmware command, select it to report as a m25. Or you can use the 52a-ms25.bin if you'd rather do it that way.
    And since you do have a m25 you don't have to wait the 10 seconds or even turn the 360 off if I remember correctly.

20. tabletpc

tabletpc Guest

i have only one issue with this a lot of new computers don't have 3 1/2 inch disk drives so how are we suppose to boot the disk if we cannot create one i wish someone would build a dvd bootable iso that would do the same thing