1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MSI motherboards

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by mmalyszko, Jan 13, 2005.

1. mmalyszko

mmalyszko Regular member

Hi im going to build me a new PC.
    Im planning to buy a Athlon 64 bit 3400+ processor or the 64 bit 4000+ processor, but i need to find a good motherboard.
    Im thinking on buying a MSI motherboard with a 754 socket with a NForce Chipset, but i cant find one that supports dual channel DDR RAM and has the PCI Express x16 slot.
    I found the MSI with a 939 socket with a PCI express x16 slot.
    Or should i look at ABIT mobo's, but i still would like a NForce chipset.
    Im a newbie but i sound like a techie about to burst, hehe.
    Does anyone have a suggestion, anyone found one, or something like that please HEEEEEEEEEEELP.

2. Easycola

Easycola Regular member

First of, start lookin 939 sockets MBs only, since 754 socket is "obsolete" allready. Since you're going to use AMD with PCI-E, new nforce4 mb's are allready available and would be your route to go, if wanting to have system using some latest home-pc tech and would be upgradable for long.

Few nforce4 mb's to thinker about for example:
    Asus A8N-SLI
    Gigabyte GA-K8NXP-9

All major vendors are bringing nforce4 platforms on to market (or has some models available allready), just start looking, One thing is to consider whatif you need Nforce4 mb with or without SLI, I have seen some reports that you can actually enable SLI even without feature reported on MB specs (SLI used to bridge to graphic cards therefore giving some boost, note thou 1+1 in this case ain't = 2).

3. mmalyszko

mmalyszko Regular member

so what kind of processor do u recommend i get

4. Easycola

Easycola Regular member

Well, any amd 64 bit processor goes, as long being socket 939. Just how much you want to waste your money is the question...:) I gather anything on range 3000 - 3500 rating are reasonable priced, if you're ritch why not AMD Athlon 64 FX-55 2.6GHz/1MB ..:) (waste of money IMHO)

5. mmalyszko

mmalyszko Regular member

tye fx 55 is a lot of money im going for i think like the 3500+ or 4000+ are these good processors and do they have a good l2 cache

6. mmalyszko

mmalyszko Regular member

where could i purchase the GA-K8NXP-9 mobo