1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MSN pc calling?

Discussion in 'Windows - Software discussion' started by sandisk, Mar 17, 2007.

1. sandisk

sandisk Regular member

Hi guy's, probably a simple answer to this but I don't know it lol.

Basically at the minute it's costing me a fortune on international calls. My brother lives in the U.S and I'm in Ireland and calls are quite expenisive.

In all my years of using a pc I've never used msn or yahoo messenger or skype, I had no need to but I thought I'd try one now to cut down on costs.

I've opened a hotmail account and setup msn live and can chat to my brother via txt but what I want to know is how to call a pc?

Ok, well obviously you'd need speakers which I have and also a mic or head piece which I don't have but will be getting a head piece on Monday.

But when I right click on my contact and click "phone", it only gives me the option to sign up to some site and not the pc option.

I don't want to ring land lines or mobile phones, just a pc.

Must I have a head set plugged into my pc for this option to be available?

Can someone help me out with the steps to getting this up and running please.

Amazing that I've never used msn before isn't it lol

Thanks
    Sandisk

2. tuxbox

tuxbox Regular member

i dont use msn but i do use yahoo. with yahoo you can call other people that are on your messenger list and its easy to use.

3. sandisk

sandisk Regular member

Thanks for thre reply.

My brother is in my messenger list but when I click on the "call pc" icon it doesn't give me the option to call a pc, it wants me to sign up to some site so I can call land lines and so on ??

4. tuxbox

tuxbox Regular member

ok when your on yahoo messenger send your brother a message. on the window that opens up when you sent him a message there should be a button on top left hand side of the window so you can call him or on your messenger list right click on his name an go down to were it says call computer not call a phone number because they charge you for that.

5. sandisk

sandisk Regular member

Sorry bout delay in replying but had to format my pc.

Anyway, yeah I've never used yahoo but I do see a similar option with msn but when you go to "call pc", there is 2 options there and they are "call computer" and "call phone" but only the "call phone" option is able to be highlighted and used.

Maybe cause there is no phone or headset attached to the pc?

6. tuxbox

tuxbox Regular member

that could be that problem. i don't know if it could be problem because when i use yahoo for the first time i had my mic hook up and it work for me. so you can try getting a mic and see if it works

7. sandisk

sandisk Regular member

Thanks for the info. I'll be getting a mic or heasdset tomorow so I'll know for sure then.

Sandisk