1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Multi Movies on One Disc With Good Quality

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by mafiaman, Nov 23, 2003.

1. mafiaman

mafiaman Member

2. baabaa

baabaa Active member

I think you have misunderstood the process somewhere along the line......

You are supposed to burn dvd's.......not the PC....check out some more guides.....LOL...like the image.....

3. Yuriv

Yuriv Regular member

So there's this KVCD thing, and there was also a CVCD, but they have one thing in common -> they are VCDs.

Hence, they are not DVDs.

Hence, you can say "near DVD" quality or "near VCD" (shudder) quality all you want, but it still boils down to one thing: its not a DVD, and its not DVD quality (and, IMHO, not "nearly so" either).

I think these formats are fun to play with and experiment with seeing if they will work, but with the cost of burners and blanks as they are (not to mention the non-cost of DVDShrink), I just don't see the point in settling for "near DVD" when I can have DVD.

4. mafiaman

mafiaman Member

Hence you have not read all the way through

5. vurbal

vurbal Administrator Staff Member

Very interesting. I use miniDVD for authoring my TV captures, so getting good quality with low bitrates is important to me. I have a capture I've been putting off encoding for a month now. I'll have to try out this matrix and see what kind of results I get compared to the low bitrate matrix I normally use.

6. vurbal

Okay, I tested the matrix from that site, and I'm not particularly impressed. I normally do my encoding in CCE SP 1 Pass VBR mode, using the Very Low Bitrate matrix. I tested with samples from a TV capture using 352x480 resolution and Q values from 15 to 35. Then I encoded the same samples with 720x480 resolution and Q from 30 to 50. Those are the settings I use to get good results for authoring miniDVDs.

Quality
    For 720x480 clips, the CCE matrix gave better results in every case. I couldn't tell the difference between most frames, but when there was a noticable difference, the CCE matrix looked better about 75% of the time. In the lower quality encodes, it was closer to 60%.

In 352x480, the KVCD matrix did a little better. In higher quality encodes, the CCE matrix gave better results on almost all the frames that weren't identical. Using lower quality (Q30-Q35), the 2 matrices were pretty much equal, with different frames being better only about half the time with the CCE matrix.

Size
    Encoding with the new matrix did reduce the size of the video stream by a small amount. For 720x480 encodes it was between 1.5% and 4% smaller. For 352x480 the difference was about 5% regardless of quality. This may make it useful if I need to get another minute on a CD, but that's about it.

This may be more useful for VCD or SVCD, but since I've never made VCDs, and I get better results from miniDVD than SVCD, I don't see myself making any changes from what I use now.

7. mafiaman

mafiaman Member

thanks man

8. vurbal

No Problem. ;-)