1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MultiBoot PSP

Discussion in 'Sony PSP - Mod and firmware discussion' started by Crazykid3, Dec 28, 2007.

1. Crazykid3

Crazykid3 Regular member

My Brief History:
    I've taking several courses on C, C#, C++,and Java. I have a good understanding of linux and the PSP. I've coded my own homebrew. I started at the "Hello World" app and created a very basic keno-like game. But I'm no D_A.

My question:
    The PSP-200x (Slim) has 66MB of flash space. The flash0 is allocated ~40.9MB, but only ~22.4MB is actual being used on a 3.71 M33-4 with custom XMB, Gameboot, etc (I believe default without any additions is around 20MB). This leaves nearly half of the flash free on a PSP-200x. Is it possible to "dual-boot" a PSP. I've tried to experiment by crossing the GRUB boot loader into a 'main-menu' for dual-booting, allowing you to choose which FM (3.60 M33 or 3.71 M33-4), but ended up FUBARing my PSP. I recovered it thanks to Pandora's Battery Emerald Eddition(very useful by the way). I'm more than willing to share my source with anyone with experience in the linux kernel and homebrewing. I would really like help from someone with personal experience on coding Firmware, but at this point I'll take help from anyone.

2. Rorro_Rey

Rorro_Rey Guest

So what exactly does this mean...that you can have two firmwares in one..??

3. Crazykid3

Crazykid3 Regular member

Yup. Without any modchips. Since the PSP-200x has double the flash, but the current FM only utilizes half of it, in theory in could hold 2 FM. Its like a Pandora Battery and Magic stick. It boots to ms, which has the GRUB boot loader (modified myself). From there it allows you to boot to which FM you want. I have successfully (I think..) partitioned the flash0 into two equal parts and the GRUB boot loader allows you to choose which partition the flash boots to. Each partition is roughly 20.4MB. I had to erase some features to fit them both. It boots to a menu, but every time I select a partition to boot to it crashes completely-no Recovery Mode, no nothing.

EDIT:
    I really want it known, that if this works, the possibilities are endless. You could beta test the next CFM without fear of losing the FM you have installed already. You could run 3.71 M33 and Official FM at the same time! If I could get D_A's help, he might even figure out to use this to allow PSP-200x models to support 1.50 kernel natively!

Last edited: Dec 29, 2007
  4. Rorro_Rey

Rorro_Rey Guest

Oh man that would be sweet...i hope that someone who knows more about hacks replies and helps you man....but im gonna stay subscribed to this thread to check out how your idea turns out...;)

Hope it works someday...:D

But still i would need a Slim psp im stuck with PHAT for now...:(

5. Crazykid3

Crazykid3 Regular member

Oh come on! There has to be someone with linux and homebrew programming skills out there somewhere! This is AfterDawn! They get over 100,000 hits a day! I thought if any forum would have programmers on it, it would be afterdawn!

EDIT:
    Wouldn't it be nice if I could attract D_A attention to this project. Or even Hellcat.

6. Rorro_Rey

Rorro_Rey Guest

Yeah man..!!

That would be so cool if you got their attention...but what websites do you think they get on?

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 29, 2007
  7. dEEz_nUtz

dEEz_nUtz Regular member

try sniffing around over on maxconsole.net D_A is a moderator over there in the psp section, so is Mathieulh...You might even run into the likes of Chilly Willy and The Joker while you are there.

8. Crazykid3

Crazykid3 Regular member

I got an interesting email. The email address is dax4psp@yahoo.com:

Dear Crazykid3,

I have recently heard of your goal to create a dual-booting PSP. This is a concept I haven't even thought of. If you would like my help, I would gladly do so. If you reply to this e-mail accepting my help, please compress into a rar file the source code of your project and I will look at it immediately.

Sincerely,
    Dark_AleX

While I'd love nothing more than to believe that this is from the real D_A, I have to say no. If a moderator is reading this, I'd like to know if any user that has read this thread has the e-mail address as above.

EDIT:
    I enjoy a good joke as much as anyone, but I'm trying to find legitimate programmers to help me. Please don't waste my time.

9. CKhaleel

CKhaleel Regular member

Well, since I have 3 years C++ training, it IS possible for dual-firmwares on one flash chip. I can try to help Crazykid.

10. Crazykid3

Crazykid3 Regular member

Great! Any experience writing homebrew or dealt with linux?

11. CKhaleel

CKhaleel Regular member

I coded a small piece of homebrew...and yes, I had Linux when viruses broke my Windows...

12. binkie7

binkie7 Moderator Staff Member

Couldn't tell ya - we're not privy to that info :)
    I'll leave the email posted - since it's a bad joke they can get hit w/ all the spam :)

I like your idea too Crazykid3.
    I'd love to help but my C++ is maybe a few steps above the
    'Hello World' :) I will keep my ears open though in case I run into someone who can also help.

13. Crazykid3

Crazykid3 Regular member

Thanks mod!

14. CKhaleel

CKhaleel Regular member

So, when are we gonna do this?

15. Crazykid3

Crazykid3 Regular member

If you PM your e-mail address, I can compress the files and send it to you.

16. CKhaleel

CKhaleel Regular member

OK.

17. LeadBaron

LeadBaron Regular member

Hate to be a party-pooper, but this is NOT possible, for the simple reason that the 20+ mb of free space is not specifically for flash0. It is for the UMD cache function, which shortens the amount of times the PSP needs to read from a UMD disc. It cannot be used to multi-boot a PSP, not even DaX could do that for us. Why do you think he had so much trouble with the file sizing of 3.71 M33? He knew he couldnt use the flash as flash0, nuff said.

18. MaTiAz44

MaTiAz44 Member

ehhh?
    The FLASH doesn't have squat to do with UMD cache, it's the extra RAM.

Crazykid3: Why are you trying to bootstrap the firmware with Grub? It makes no sense to port grub for PSP. Just hack the SCE firmware and make it minimal, much better and easier way.

Guess how the older CFW's with 1.50 bootstrap worked. Yep, that's right, dualboot. They first boot into 1.50 and from there, apply some LoadCore patches and then reboot into the secondary kernel (aka 2.71 or 3.02, etc. etc. depending on the firmware revision of course). No grub there.

And if you're trying to ehh, bootstrap the SCE firmware from Grub, you don't seem to have such a good understanding of the PSP.

The idea is totally possible, but the way you tried is far from the right one.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2007
  19. binkie7

binkie7 Moderator Staff Member

Watch the language MaTiAz44 - keep it clean

20. CKhaleel

CKhaleel Regular member

I don't understand how GRUB can load PSP firmware.