1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Multiple AVI's To DVD-R

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by Adema, Jan 17, 2005.

1. Adema

Adema Member

Ok, i have quite a few 150mb+ .AVI files, and would like to burn at least 4 of these per DVD-R. I used the stickied .AVI to DVD-R guide and made the .VOB etc files out of one of these .AVI's. This file is about 2GB, therefore can only fit 2 files per DVD. Is there anyway I can fit more on?

Also, when I convert the .AVI to the .VOB, I get the files called, for example, VTS_01_1 and VTS_01_2. Then I convert a second .AVI to be burned to the same DVD-R as VTS_01_1 and VTS_01_2. These have the same file name, obviously, so how would I add these to the DVD-R?

Peace.

2. Adder01

Adder01 Regular member

1) A way you can make the files smaller is to use a lower bitrate when you are converting them, but of course this gives you lower quality...

2) As for the multiple VOBs. You need a program to 'glue' them all together with a menu. Some programs that can do this are DVD Lab, DVD ReMake & I think TMPGEnc DVD Author too.

Adder.

3. cougar_ii

cougar_ii Regular member

Hi there,

VSO DivXtoDVD might be a software that you might like.

http://www.vso-software.fr/

Load all your .AVI files, and convert then directly to .VBO dvd files in 1 step.

I like it !

4. bazilla

bazilla Regular member

I use NeroVision express for tasks like this.

I've got to wonder how a 150 mb avi file ends up as a 2gb VOB file. I can see it going 2-3x the original size, but not +10x. Unless the VOB is uncompressed. Without looking at the sticky you reference, I do know that NeroVision Express won't do this to you (convert avi files to something completely uncompressed).

As another user pointed out, it is all about bit rate. And the programs you are using control the bit rate. The programs I use are "newbie friendly" and do this transparently, choosing the best (least) compression possible to fill up the dvd.

So, it makes me wonder if maybe your software/sticky guide is resulting in a process that thinks that you only want to put the one avi on a dvd, so it is choosing the least compression possible.

One way or another, I think what you are going to have to do is join your avi's together, and [bold]then[/bold] create your VOB files. This is what NeroVision Express does with the "Create a Movie" option. It allows you to add multiple avi's to a "project". Then it implicitly joins them together and in the transcoding process choose the bit rate/compression that gives the best video quality given the amount of space available on a dvd.

Alternatively, you could join the avi's together first with a program like virtualmod or virtualmoddub, and then use your sticky procedure to code up the VOB from the single joined AVI.

If you plan to do this a lot, NeroVision Express (or something comparable) is the way I would go. And should you ever decide to go that route, here's a tip. Since you have "quite a few 150mb .AVI" files, use the "Create a Movie" process to add them to a project, and then "Export" them first. This will combine them into a single mpeg2 file. Then go back and start the "Create a Movie" process all over. This will give you more control over thinks like chapters and the menu structure. If you have lots of small avi files, and use NeroVision Express to "create a movie" from them, it makes each one a menu entry in the movie menu. With menu entries limited to 4 a page, this can create a very cumbersome menu with lots of small files. If the avi's can be joined topically or in some logical fashion, and joining them into a single mpeg2 file before you try to build the menu, you have lots more control over the menu/chapter structure.

5. Adema

Adema Member

Alright guys, thanks a lot for the help. I guess I'll try joining those suckers together and see what happens.