1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Multiple identical audio formats -- how come?

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by bazilla, Feb 22, 2005.

1. bazilla

bazilla Regular member

When reauthoring with dvd shrink, and checking the compression settings, I often see multiple [bold]identical[/bold] audio formats listed. For example, I'm doing a movie only backup of Twisted, and the English AC3 2-ch English audio format (137 MB) is listed twice. The French AC3 2-ch format is only listed once, as are both the English and French AC3 5.1-ch formats.

Why are audio formats duplicated like this sometimes, and is it safe to uncheck one?

2. jamacaboi

jamacaboi Regular member

All you need to keep is the Dolby English 5.1. You can uncheck all the others. Even if your TV is only 2 channel (AC3 2-ch) it will downmix the Dolby 5.1 so you still get your full sound.

Enjoy!

3. bazilla

bazilla Regular member

Thanks. That's nice to know about the downmixing.

But why the duplicate audio streams in the first place?

4. jamacaboi

jamacaboi Regular member

My guess is it is to accomodate people who have much older systems that may not be able to downmix the Dolby 5.1. But that is just a guess. I really dont know. The other languages is obvious. But why more then one English is unknown to me personally.

5. wolfniggr

wolfniggr Regular member

Are you sure they are identical? Sometimes when you see multiple eng 2.0 audio tracks with or without the same amonunt of mb for each they are usually comentary soundtracks. The way I check is I play the movie I move the cursor over the display and right click. Then I check each soundtrack one at a time.

What's the movie in question?

Last edited: Feb 22, 2005