1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Multiple Video Output?

Discussion in 'PS3 - Modding & Hacking' started by Galonvan, Mar 8, 2007.

1. Galonvan

Galonvan Member

I sent an email off to Sony asking about this, but knowing how thier customer service is, I figured I'd probably get a jackass/uneducated answer from them, so I'd ask in here.

1: Video Resolution: Supposedly the PS3 either A: Doesn't have a scaler built into it, or B: Has a scaler built into it that isn't currently being used. Because of this, supposedly when playing video games that are 1080P, on a TV that is only capable of 1080i/720p, instead of the PS3 scaling it down to one of those resolutions, it instead drops the game to 480p. Does anyone know anything about this/has this been fixed?

2: In light of the above question, if playing a Blue-Ray Disc in the same situation, will it play the Blue-Ray Disc at 1080i, or drop it to 480p, and I might as well just get a regular DVD?

3: I currently have the PS3 hooked up to one system (a 4:3 Projector based theater that's 1080i/720p capable, via component). I am planning on adding a TV in the MBR that is 1080P capable, and within remote control range of the PS3. My plan is to run a HDMI cable from my audio rack where the PS3 is located, to the TV location in my MBR. I want to be able to use the PS3 in the theater when I feel like it and in the MBR at other times (obviously not at the same time). While I understand that if I set the PS3 resolution to 1080p, my projector will choke on it, I want to know if I can keep both, the projector, and the 1080P TV plugged into the PS3 with 2 seperate cable types, without having any problems. I'd rather not have to go behind the PS3 and unplug one cable and plug the other one in, each time I want to change what screen I'm playing it on. Anyone have any experience with this?

2. error5

error5 Regular member

1. Not yet as far as I know. (Anyone have new info on this?)

2. Set the PS3 output to 1080i NOT 720p and you should be fine:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=650544&page=1&pp=30

3. You can keep the PS3 connected to both displays at the same time but remember that only one output is active at any given time. Just change the video output settings when you wish to change from HDTV to projector and vice-versa. Also when using the HDTV in the master bedroom you have to set the audio output to HDMI as the HDMI connection carries both video and audio.

Do you have the InFocus X1 projector by any chance?

Last edited: Mar 8, 2007
  3. Galonvan

Galonvan Member

No, I'm using an Optoma 758. I got it about 2 years ago with the intent on using it for computer gaming in addition to watching TV... While TV's were going widescreen, I was focusing on the fact that I wanted it for computer gaming too.. now Computer monitors are also going widescreen, so I wish I took a different outlook on it. But hell, having 3000 lumens output can be really nice when you have lights on and a party going.. Still get some cool effects going on the screen.

As for the question 3, there is no way to make both outputs active simultaneously if at a lower resolution? If it was last used on the projector, it's a bit of a pain in the butt to have to go into the theater and turn on the system, wait for the projector to warm up, to change the settings, and then turn the projector back off again.. I figured I'd just keep the settings at 1080i and only change them to 1080p when I was using it in my MBR. Then when I was done, I'd switch it back to 1080i before I turned it off, so both could see the display. It's a shame I can't keep both outputs hot simultaneously.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2007
  4. error5

error5 Regular member

You can run a bidirectional component switcher from the PS3 to both displays. That way you don't have to turn on the projector and you can switch to HDMI from the HDTV. You just have to sacrifice one of the component inputs on the HDTV for the switching. Turning the projector on and off puts a strain on the lamp and usually shortens its life span.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2007