1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

mummy needs help

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 - Modding & Hacking' started by mummyuk, Jun 4, 2007.

1. mummyuk

mummyuk Member

Ok Guys , this mum needs easy to understand help ok ,lol.
    My sons have had their xbox360 just over 18mths , but , have probably played on it less than 100 hours as it is at their dads and he limits the amount of time they are allowed on it. It has worked perfectly with shop bought harddrive and memory card. Then we switched it on one day and now it will do nothing , it says open tray , which we do and we load game , it says its 'reading' then nothing we go back to menus. It is not xbox live enabled and we have used menus to format harddrive etc. has anyone got a suggestion , opinion or answer.
    many thanks
    one stressed out mum in england uk

2. wiseup

wiseup Member

hi have you tryed using it without the hard drive just a idea cause you might have a bad save file try it have you also tryed various games to see if it not just one game that does not load up ,have you had it flashed

3. fgamer

fgamer Guest

The reason your getting the "open tray" error is because your DVD-ROM drive may be faulty. I had the same exact problem with my Samsung MS25 drive a while back, Only solution I can give you is to return it to Microsoft for repair.

4. mummyuk

mummyuk Member

Thanks for answering guys,
    we have done the 'without hardrive' test it made no difference , we have completely wiped all saves and profiles again it made no difference.
    re the 'have it flashed idea' how? or where? my husband is a pc technician and does all sorts of pc repairs etc , but hasn't been brave enough to even open the xbox cover . he should be able to follow simple /intermediate level instructions. I know he has flashed the bios on our desktop PC's.

5. fgamer

fgamer Guest

Well what he could do is buy a new xbox 360 dvd drive, not the whole console just the drive to replace your faulty one. He will need to extract the key from the old 360 drive and put it in the new drive.

6. steimy

steimy Active member

solutions i would suggest.
    1. if it is under warranty then send it back to Microsoft and have them fix it. Might as well as it will be free.

2. As suggested get a new drive and read some tutorials on how to properly swap them out.

3. Last resort MS will still fix it if not under warranty but they will charge you about $140 US Dollars to do it. But that is still half the cost of replacing it.

As for the flashing the drive, If your not sure what that is, and you use Xbox Live often then do not even consider it. What that means is you take a firmware made by hackers, you flash the drive with it, and it will allow the drive to play "back up" (aka burned) copies of your games. This is a nice feature for parents for sure, but it could also easily get you banned from Xbox Live. If you did not have or use XBL i would say go for it. Also the only way to get back on XBL after you get banned is to buy another console and import your accounts to it. The banned console will never be allowed on XBL again.