1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

music better through HDMI?

Discussion in 'HD DVD discussion' started by korso55, Jun 26, 2007.

1. korso55

korso55 Regular member

Hey i was wondering since the HD DVD player can produce just as good sound as anything else out there...should i just use my HD DVD player and receiver to listen to music???

2. eatsushi

eatsushi Regular member

If you'll be listening to CD's then there's no advantage to the HDMI connection. Besides, several users have reported CD playback issues with HD-DVD players over at avsforums.com. They've reported CD skipping problems and other issues.

One instance when music will sound better on the HD-DVD player is when your watching a concert on HD-DVD with a Dolby True HD soundtrack (like the Nine Inch Nails disc).

My Toshiba XA2 doesn't support DVD-Audio or SACD playback so that's a no-go.

3. jeray

jeray Regular member

not to jump off subject but i am thinking of upgrading my receiver.is there a big difference with the dolby true hd?

4. diabolos

diabolos Guest

Yes. As eatsushi pointed out there won't be a huge difference between HDMI and S/PDIF (Digital Coax or Optical/Toslink). I have had skipping issues with the A20 over HDMI but I think the ltest firmware should fix that. I use the HD DVD players for sound because they have a 32-bit SHARK audio processor that eats all other audio processors on my store shelf for breakfast.

Absolutely. There is a night and day difference between Dolby TrueHD and any lossy format out there (i.e. Dolby Digital, DTS, ect...) It is the bit-for-bit identical copy of the original studio master for crying out loud. It can only be experienced via HDMI (any version) or via Analog-Multi channel outs.

Check-out this review of Batman Begins (read the paragraph "The Audio: Rating The Sound") ...
    http://hddvd.highdefdigest.com/batmanbegins.html

The NIN concert HD DVD eatsushi was talking about...
    http://hddvd.highdefdigest.com/nineinchnailslivebesideyouintime.html

Ced

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 28, 2007
  5. limelight

limelight Regular member

Since my tv only has DVI (DVI is HDMI without sound), I used a optical cable from my reciever to my stereo, and while there was a slight (and i mean slight) difference (meaning just a tad bit less hissing), overall it wasnt really worth the $10 for the cable.

6. chaopiao

chaopiao Guest

***spam removed by creaky***

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 1, 2007
  7. diabolos

diabolos Guest

Well your experience will depend on what type of cables you use (for the analog playback) and the equipment (DAC performance with-in the source vs DAC performance in the receiver).

Generally, passing the digital data to a good processor (or receiver) is a better choice as they are usually the higher grade components in any "big box retailer" bought audio system.

Ced

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 4, 2007