1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Music Video DVD authoring.

Discussion in 'Video to DVD' started by ziggy1971, Mar 29, 2007.

1. ziggy1971

ziggy1971 Member

Hello all,

I'm pretty new to DVD authoring and need some advice on creating a music video DVD.

I want the DVD to display a menu when loaded into a player, as normal, and give the following options:

1. Play all the videos one after another
    2. Select any video from a menu, sort of like chapters

Optional (but not required)
    3. Play the videos randomly

Currently each music video is a item/video.

Do I have to make one long video with all the videos I want on the DVD? I certainly hope not because I want to keep all my videos separate so that I can make the compilations I want.

Do I have to add each video as a separate movie? ie. Movie 1, Movie 2, etc.

I currently use DVD-lab Pro for authoring DVD's and know how to make simple DVD's with 2 or more episodes of video, although you have to select each one from the menu because that is where the link at the end of the movie goes to.

I don't know how to make them play consecutively, one after another, from start to finish.

Any advice/help on this is greatly appreciated,
    Cheers,
    ziggy1971

2. Suba

Suba Regular member

Check DVD Lab Pro from Mediachance.
    That will do exactly what you want in 1,2,3 of your request.

3. ziggy1971

ziggy1971 Member

Hello all,

I know that the application will probably do what I would like, but I would like some info on how the DVD layout should be and how to link the videos together, etc.

For instance, is each video added as a separate movie, or combined into one long video with chapters.

Step-by-step instructions or another tutorial on how to achieve this would be great.

Thanx for now,
    Cheers,
    ziggy1971

4. Suba

Suba Regular member

If you want to use DVD Lab or just learn more about DVD layout. Go to Mediachance web site and download tutorial for DVD Lab. there is lots of info there.
    In your case it is your choice to use individual clips or join them.
    I would use individual clips, it is easy to work with them later in Lab.
    You still can do your 1,2,3 requests with them.

5. carlvo

carlvo Regular member

Hello everyone. I am wanting to do the same thing as ziggy, and I have a lot of the same questions. So I really didn't want to open another thread dealing with the same issue.
    I too am wantting to put all my music video clips on to a DVD that I can play on my standalone (with menus and all that other good stuff). Currently, all of my clips are in the mpeg format, and I will be authoring using Nero. Can someone point me in the right direction?
    Thanks in advance!

~Carl

6. Suba

Suba Regular member

Most likely you will use Nero Vision. Nero does not include manuals with software, but you can go to there site and download manual for each application in your language as PDF file. They have pretty good instruction on how to use the application.

7. ziggy1971

ziggy1971 Member

Hello all,

As far as I'm concerned, Suba has yet to answer any question that I or anyone else has asked, so stop replying if you don't have any helpful answers!!! Just telling people to read the manual or go to the manufacturers websites are not answers.

An answer to one of my questions would be:
    "Take a look at the "Play List" or "Random List" objects in DVD-lab Pro, that may be what you're looking for."

Note: I got the answer from somewhere else.

Now, isn't that simple?

Like I said right from the beginning of this thread, I'm new to DVD authoring and needed some advice. Obviously, requesting help from people who have done this type of thing before with the same software to see what they may have done to accomplish the task at hand.

Now, if the replies that a person gets to a question is to read the "Help" file or go to the website, then what exactly is the purpose of having a forum in the first place?

If everyone could understand the "Help" file, nobody would ever need to ask anyone else for assistance or there wouldn't be any need for people creating tutorials on the stuff because everybody would already "KNOW" everything, right?

Now, asking the same question again, what should the "Layout" of the DVD look like in DVD-lab? Not what does a DVD layout look like? The DVD layout is quite simple, really, an "AUDIO_TS", which doesn't actually have anything in it, and a "VIDEO_TS", which contains a variety of different file formats such as "*.IFO", "*.BUP", "*.VOB", etc. files.

The question was what it looks like IN DVD-lab with connections, not what the resulting DVD will look like, that's what DVD-lab is supposed to take care of.

Thanx again,
    Cheers,
    ziggy

8. Suba

Suba Regular member

Ok
    I have to apologize. Somehow I missed part about you using DVD Lab already.
    May be if it was right at the beginning of your post, my answer would be different, but that is not an excuse.
    I use DVD Lab also.

9. ziggy1971

ziggy1971 Member

Hello all,

I did mention that I was using DVD-lab Pro!

It's right after "I currently use...", had you READ the whole post to begin with.

However, it still doesn't justify giving someone an answer like, "Check the manual" or "Read the Help file".

The next time you post a question, how would you like an answer like that?

If you're not going to tell someone how to do something, DON'T ANSWER ANY POSTS!!!

Cheers,
    ziggy

10. urdivine

urdivine Member

Ziggy,

Before I explain how do do what you're asking, it's been awhile since your post. Have you found the answer to your question?

11. ziggy1971

ziggy1971 Member

Hi urdivine,

Thanx for offering to help, but I have found a way of achieving what I wanted to do by using the "Play list" object in DVD-lab. Someone else let me know that DVD-lab had that feature. And once I knew "what" to look for, learning how to use it wasn't all that difficult.

I'm thinking about writing a tutorial on how to create a music video DVD because I couldn't find the info myself and there are other people who would like to know how it's done. So if you're interested in assisting me with this little project, it would be great!!!

Thanx again,
    Cheers,
    ziggy

Last edited: Apr 21, 2007
  12. Suba

Suba Regular member

13. carlvo

carlvo Regular member

@ziggy: I would remove your e-mail address from your last post if I were you. Making yourself a prime target for spam. Just looking out...

Also, I'm interested on how to make the videos play one after the other without having to select another and press play again (continuous play) and also how to make them play randomly as you also were wondering how to do. Got any info you could pass on to me from your research on the subject?

edit: I am currently using Nero to author DVD's.

Thanks in advance!

~Carl

Last edited: Apr 20, 2007
  14. ziggy1971

ziggy1971 Member

Hi carlvo,

Thanx for the heads-up on the spam stuff, I didn't know they get e-mail addresses from forums.

I'm not sure how Nero works though, I haven't done any video work with it yet.

Also, I didn't use the "Random list" object either, but will soon.

If you got my e-mail address, then you can message me directly for more info because I'd rather not spend a lot of time going through the process here if I'm going to make a web page anyway.

Cheers,
    ziggy

15. urdivine

urdivine Member

Ziggy

I'm in the middle of a large, complicated project with 233 AC3 music files to DVD. I know you don't want to hear this, but with a little help from "SUBA" I am able to get past my initial problem.

So when I'm finished I can maybe "edit" your step by step guide and maybe we can come up with a good "How To" Guide.

16. ziggy1971

ziggy1971 Member

Hello all,

Just to clear things up a little, I didn't say I didn't like Suba, heck I don't even know him/her. I just don't like the answers I was getting, like "Check the Help file".

As a matter of fact, the last post that Suba added is much more useful/helpful because it offers advice on what others have done, even though it may not answer the question at hand directly, it may offer other possible advice/solutions/options that a person didn't know about before.

Also, this is an "open" forum and I don't have any problems with people helping each other, as that's what we're here for, right?

If you can find the assistance you need, even though you didn't start the thread, as "urdivine" & "Suba" may have, great!!!

As far as I'm concerned, my part of this thread has been completed because I have found the answers I needed elsewhere, so enjoy, I may write a tutorial on the different ways of creating music video DVD's, as I still have over 1000 of them at this point.

Thanx again,
    Cheers,
    ziggy

17. MysticE

MysticE Active member

A thousand? That's a lot. I've got a few. I use MPEG Video Wizard DVD for my final complilation, after first preparing with MainConcept. No fancy menus though but the Sound Normalization and conversion is very handy.

Here's a few Sexy ones.

http://rapidshare.com/users/MOLEEW

18. 2colors

2colors Guest

I use Roxio MC 9 go to audio-quick music dvd-name the disc-add my albums as folders. No problems you can view by album artist abc etc, or shuffle. Works great for me. I just made one that has 21.5 hours of music on it, and still maybe 1.9gb left on the disc. I don't compress my music all folder albums are full size.

19. ziggy1971

ziggy1971 Member

Hello all,

Yeah, I have well over a thousand music videos and adding new ones almost daily. All of them are in MPEG-2 (720x480 NTSC, 29.97 fps, interlaced, etc.) format so, as you can imagine, they take up a lot of space.

Of these videos, about 300 of them have no TV station logos or any other "unwanted" additions to the video, not even the artist/song label. In fact, I have about 10 videos right now, all listed as "Unknown" because I don't know who the artist is or what song it is. Now that's what I call a "clean" video. These are keepers as far as I'm concerned.

Anyway, enough rambling,
    Cheers,
    ziggy

20. urdivine

urdivine Member

Ziggy

I'd like to help you try and identify your 10 unknown videos. I may have some success especially if you think they are pre-80's. I have nearly 3000 videos of musical performances and most of them are pre-80s back to the 50s. I'm really quite an expert with the history of music from about thge middle ages to 1970, [if I do say so myself].

Also, I was torn for some time....whether to make my all my videos DVD complient, as you did, OR not re-encode the smaller videos and create the DVD with the videos of the same qualities in their own VYS. I do the latter, but the few tests I've done, seem to indicate that it didn't make that much visual difference, at least on a 20 TV screen.

OK now back to my audio DVD problems