1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MUTE P2P network. what is it?

Discussion in 'Windows - P2P software' started by Bitcount, Feb 7, 2005.

1. Bitcount

Bitcount Guest

I’ve been an Emule user for a while now, but recently i got a call from my ISP telling me to stop using P2P apps because they've been getting complaints from the "big bad you know who". It surprised me since i just download TV shows from channels i can't get.

Anyway, MUTE sells itself as "anonymous" and id like to know more about it, since i don’t like the idea of getting sued. I can't be yet anyway, not living in the US so I’m out of reach of the RIAA and others. So I’ve stopped using Emule for the time being, I’d just like to know if MUTE is a safer alternative.

2. V1ru5

V1ru5 Member

It's a Scam!!! DO NOT GIVE THEM ANY MONEY!! Stay away from those sites....and by the way what kind of shows have u been downloading and from where????

3. Bitcount

Bitcount Guest

I havent given any money to anyone lol. but thanks for the tip.

However, mentioning what im downloading could be a breach of the AD rules. But they are shows on some of the major american networks, if that helps. But its nothing that's out on DVD now. Just things that have recently aired. But any tips on other P2P networks would be helpfull.

4. Balaam

Balaam Regular member

lol, quiet down dude. especially since you don't know what you're talking about.

MUTE is a genuine effort by some programmers to explore the possibilities of anonymous file trading. As to how successful it is? The general rule of thumb is that the only safe way to procure entertainment content is to buy it.

That being said, well, not being an expert myself, I can't tell you how successful that little experiment is, but I think its still ongoing, so maybe they're making some head way. A few months ago I came across the software, downloaded it and played around with it for an hour. I found it hard to find any content on that network, but then again, I didn't give it much effort.

But to answer your question, nobody can really say how safe it is. The truest answer is that its not safe enough.

5. V1ru5

V1ru5 Member

okay first of all, Why is MUTe charging for files that they themselves are getting off the free p2p community?? its like me charging for stuff that is given away for free...I repeat DO not give your money to "MUTE" its a SCam... i'm just warning you...but then again its ur money..

6. -LoNeR-

-LoNeR- Active member

Bitcount

if your trying to hide the fact that your downloading from P2P appz from your ISP - don't bother.

they see every bit of traffic in and out of your computer - they will know.

7. Balaam

Balaam Regular member

@V1ru5,
    Buddy, you're a little confused. MUTE is free to download, free to use. They accept donations, but there is no required charge involved. Please don't post before first verifying your statments.

8. V1ru5

V1ru5 Member

My bad!!! just though it was one of those scam sites that charge you for stuff u can get for free...