1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problem MXQ Android box, black screen

Discussion in 'Android TV boxes (Kodi, XBMC, etc)' started by Cocaine_, Apr 9, 2017.

1. Cocaine_

Cocaine_ Newbie

Hello, I'm new here but I'm in need of some help. I've got an MXQ Android box that was programmed to Kodi that I purchased from a friend tonight but all I've got is a black screen. If I go to another source on the TV, it will notify me that something is plugged into the HDMI 1 slot, and it will surge the notification as if the box is rebooting over and over. As this was happening, I also had a buzzing sound while the notification was live but would stop when the notification went away. I do know that both HDMI ports work, and so do my AV ports because I've tried other devices on all ports. Any ideas on what to do? I don't have any information on the box, besides the letters MXQ on it and I've also tried to reset it. I only have a solid blue light on the box itself. Any help appreciated, thank you in advance!

2. paulie57

paulie57 Regular member

To have a solid blue light is good are you sure you are on the right hdmi screen on your TV ,, you should at least have the box home screen on your TV , also check your hdmi cable from box to tv , maybe even try a new one , when you say you tried to reset what did you do ?

3. Cocaine_

Cocaine_ Newbie

I am positive that I'm on the right HDMI screen. I've also tried multiple HDMI cables. As far as reset, I unplugged it and stuck a toothpick in the AV hole and held it down as I plugged it back in and I held it for over 45 seconds and still didn't get anything

4. paulie57

paulie57 Regular member

Just wandering , did you see the box working in your friends house . is it possible for you to set it up again there to see it works , that would narrow it down for you if it works then you know its just to solve the issue between your TV and box ......

5. Cocaine_

Cocaine_ Newbie

I did try it at his house, but it only works on his TV in his room. None of his other TVs work with it. Same issue at my house, except none of my TVs work with it. I tried other devices on my TV, and other HDMI cables. I also bought 2 new HDMI cables to no avail.

6. piopat

piopat Active member

if it works on your pals tv but not on any of yours that must be down to your tv . how old is your tv ? if your pals tv is relatively new and yours is older then your tv probably isnt capable of handling the picture quality that the box is sending it .

for example if the box is set at 1080 full hd and your tv is older and say is not hd or maybe only 720 then your tv probably cant display the content that the box is sending it .

dont worry you can fix that , there are a few ways . one is to use the other connectors on the box , the AV connector , your box may or may not have come with the cable for that , if it didnt you have to go to your local AV store and buy one . but before you do look at the side / rear of your tv and check what connectors it has , because your tv will need to have similar connectors to what is on the box . if it does you are ok .

now having attached your box to your tv using a cable from the AV connector you need to select the correct source in your tv menus , for example sources are scart / composite /vga / hdmi 1 / hdmi 2

you would probably have to use the composite type source .

once you have selected the correct source you should see a picture . you can leave it at that if you wish . or you can go to the box AV settings and lower the picture quality down , so if its on 1080 hd lower it to 720 and then try the hdmi connection again and as long as your tv can handle 720 the picture should appear through your hdmi cable .

7. Cocaine_

Cocaine_ Newbie

His TV and my TV are the same size TV's, only bought maybe 2 months apart. The only difference in them is that his is a Sony and mine is an LG- they even have the same specs. I have the same exact TV as his here at the house as well that it wont work on either. Also, I did try the AV cables but those did not work either. I have now tried this on multiple TV's within my house and none of them seem to work with the box. I have given the box back to him and gotten my money back as these boxes seem like nothing but trouble. Unless you have some recommendations on a different box that isn't extremely expensive and has good support behind it, I won't buy another.

8. piopat

piopat Active member

well i can only say again that if it works on his tv and not yours that the box is working , and that for some reason your tvs wont display it . and the only reason i can see is the one i already mentioned .

what you could try is connect the box to your friends tv , then go in to the settings and set it to a lower setting , i mean down from 1080 to 720 or lower .

i had the same problem in a friends house , she asked me to get her a box and set it up , i did and nothing would display on her tv . her tv while reasonably recent and high in specs was unable to display the box , i changed the settings to a lower quality and it worked .

as the box works on your friends tv that means its working . and they are great boxes . so the box is not the issue as far as i can see . but all these boxes so far as i know have the same display settings so any box you buy will likely give you the same problem .

but as i said above if you go to your pals house and lower the display settings , we can help you with that . then connect the box to your tv again and see if it works .