1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MXQ OTT TV box startup issue

Discussion in 'Android TV boxes (Kodi, XBMC, etc)' started by noddie, Feb 26, 2016.

1. noddie

noddie Newbie

Hey there I am having a issue with the my new MXQ TVbox. This is the second box that has been sent to me.
    The blue light is flashing on the front of the box, its plugged into the correct HDMI port
    I press the red button on the remote to turn the box on and nothing happens I have a black screen.
    Its starting to do my head in as its a second box I received within a month.

2. atghawkin

atghawkin Regular member

Have you tried putting a different firmware on it like openelec ? It could also be the power adapter if you can get your hands on a different one and try it .... Long shot though

3. paulie57

paulie57 Regular member

Noddie have couple of these boxes , when u turn box power on , press the start button on top of box , should go from red to blue , once blue should now see mxbox logo on screen , do not use red power button on remote , i found it only works when powering off the box ...........

4. noddie

noddie Newbie

Thanks guys for the reply's the box does not have a power on button located on the box itself . Once you turn the electrical power the blue light flashes but all I get is a blank black screen, I have tried several HDMI cables and several power cables as well but still no startup logo just a black screen on the tv

5. paulie57

paulie57 Regular member

Noddie does the blue light stay on permently, if so are you on the right hdmi source on tv , if light is solid blue should get mxbox logo on startup ?

6. atghawkin

atghawkin Regular member

Doesn't look good :( , it's either a dud box or you might have corrupt firmware , try different firmware using the button in the av port nothing to lose

7. paulie57

paulie57 Regular member

Noddie after flashing blue does it go to solid red or blue , if it's red , had the same problem with a box i updated firmware from supplier but could not get box beyond solid red , had to return box to supplier if as you say it new would be best to contact who you got box from .........lol

8. noddie

noddie Newbie

Solved the problem.... sent it back and got a refund. Now looking for something descent any suggestions ?

9. paulie57

paulie57 Regular member

Noddie I use the mx111 , even thought the mxq box is a newer version it has only 1gb ram the mx111 has 2gb ram and does make a diffence ,check out amazon , buying boxes really is personal choice , but can't go wrong with 2gb ram and source in the UK ......lol

10. atghawkin

atghawkin Regular member

Last edited: Mar 5, 2016
  11. Greenjersey

Greenjersey Newbie

Hi, we received our new Ott TV box 4k today and we set up the cables we put the hdmi cable and sv cable into the box and the box turned blue afterwards we flicked through the channels to see which av channel the startup screen appeared on but nothing appeared on any of our av channels. Is there something we are missing ? , do we need a android TV to work with our android box or is it a faulty machine

12. paulie57

paulie57 Regular member

GreenJersey if you have hdmi cable in box and in to TV you should be looking for hdmi source on your TV remote , if you have more then one hdmi slot on your TV , select source and try each ie , hdmi 1 hdmi 2 etc , with the box light blue you should at least get box home screen on uour tv , also are you connected with wifi or ethernet cable ? Lol ...........
    Ps once the box light goes solid blue all is ok you just need to find the right source on tv ........

13. Bill1385

Bill1385 Newbie

Hey guys, im having a similar problem. Now bare with me, technology and I don't coexist very well so excuse some of my terminology. My brother purchased the mxq pro 4k for me for Christmas and for what little I knew how to use it for I could. I went searching for a sport to watch and when I figured i may be in the wrong option i tried to go "back" which the froze the box. I tried turning it off then back on and it didnt do anything and now the blue light that indicates thst my box is on stays on and the remote can't turn it off. The light only goes off if I unplug the box, as soon as i plug it back in the light directly comes back on. This is all that comes up after I plug it back in. (Dont mind the finger prints, kids eh?!) Is my box fried and my brother has to return it or is there anything i can do? 1482984209703838134058.

14. atghawkin

atghawkin Regular member

If you can return it do , but if you want you could reboot from the "cocktail stick" method , this is when you plug in the power of the box while holding in a reset button that's in the av port , you will need a cocktail stick to do this , if done correctly it brings you to a screen that gives different options and one is to reboot from firmware ( or similar)

15. piopat

piopat Active member

sadly some times the android software just gets corrupted . ive had it happen on a box and i know two guys that had it happen , its no ones fault just one of those things .

usually what happens is start up files get corrupt and so the box cant boot up properly and start running . you have to look at these boxes like a mini laptop , you turn on your laptop and it boots up / starts up and then you can access the computer . well if any of the laptop start up files get corrupted the laptop wont start up or it will go only so far and get stuck . android boxes are similar , start up files can get corrupted and the box wont start up / boot up any further than an android logo or some other logo .

as atg says the toothpick / cocktail stick method may work . with the power cable removed from the box insert the stick into the AV socket at the rear of the box , that may sound strange but there is a little button in there . so what you do is remove the power cable from the box , insert the cocktail stick in the AV socket and press the button and keep pressing it , at the same time re insert the power cable , keep pressing that button all the time fro 10 to 15 seconds while watching your tv screen . then all being well a hidden menu should appear onscreen , then you can stop pressing the button .

there should be a reset option onscreen that you can select , that should reset the box and may cure the problem . the remote may or may not work for this , if so you could use a regular usb mouse from a computer and just insert it in the box . if reset doesnt cure the problem then your options are to send the box back to the supplier or to change the firmware yourself from the above hidden menu , however you will need the correct firmware version for your box .

16. Tracins

Tracins Newbie

Screenshot_20170519-104258. Hello all. I had this flashing blue light. The problem 1494792533139. was with hardware. There was blown out some fuse like power related chip. Broken part that i changed was in the first picture. Hope it helps some one.
    My problem was i used different kind charger. Probably there was more Volts than needed and the polarity was different. So changed this part and need to use only 5v/2A charger.
    The fuse thingy is beside the power adapter port.

Last edited: May 19, 2017
    atghawkin likes this.
  17. piopat

piopat Active member

its great you fixed the problem . some times its a simple enough thing , and you seem to have fixed it easily enough . its god to know that it can be fixed , can you let us know where you got the replacement part that had blown as it may help other people .

in my experience these android boxes are usually 5 volts , on the plug there is usually a sticker or some sort of print with the voltage on it , so if anyone is not sure before you plug your box in with the wrong plug check the voltage on the plug is 5 volts . if the plug is 5 volts or less even if its the wrong plug it wont harm your box .

18. Tracins

Tracins Newbie

I live in Latvia. I showed the part to an electrician and he just replaced it. He told me that the part doesn't sell alone, but in stock. The technician told me that the part has no name, just some sort of nr. Thats not possible to find.
    Sorry, maybe someone smarter can explain what is this part!!?
    Its some sort of fuse, that even after it blows, still puts through electricity and so its possible to burn the whole board.
    And by the way. I had smoke coming out from my box, so not always its dead after smoke comes out.!! Just unplug fast after you see or think it has been having smoke.

19. AliciaG

AliciaG Newbie

Hi all. I have had this tv box for almost 2 years now and i never had an issue with it. But now i do, First my tv box was always stuck on the second logo "make your life colorful" so i watched some youtube videos on how to fix it. I thought the solution was to reset it using the toothpick method so that is what i did but after that i did not work. Now when i turn it on it show the logo screen "leelbox appreciation" then it goes totally black. Please help me out

20. piopat

piopat Active member

its always worth trying to reset the box using the toothpick method as it might do the trick . however in your case its obvious that your box firmware boot files are corrupted . so your options are 1/ try to reflash the box (that means change the firmware ) which is not as hard as it may sound , however if your box is old (as yours is ) or if its not a very popular model well then getting firmware for it may not be so easy . option number 2 is to buy yourself a new box , you can get an mxq pro delivered for about £40 ish , in euros that is about €50 maybe a bit less if you look around ebay . you ,ight even get a free wifi pad thrown in if you look hard enough .