1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My CD RW won't read or write

Discussion in 'CD-R' started by annerain, Oct 6, 2003.

1. annerain

annerain Member

Hi,
    I hope someone can give me a clue because I don't have one. My CD RW(Generic) stopped working all of a sudden. I tried uninstalling the driver and reinstalling the driver and no go. My device manager says that it is functioning normally but when I try to burn a cd it tells me to insert a blank disk when there is one already in it(yes I tried several different disks). I am thinking it has bit the dust but if anyone has a suggestion I would be glad to try anything.
    Thanks Anne

Last edited: Oct 6, 2003
  2. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

WindowsXP is a quirky OS when it comes to built-in burning capability. Many people claim to be able to burn fine. Many others have problems. Microsoft released an update to the IMAPI (which, FYI stands for Image Mastering Applications Programming Interface); that update can be found at http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;320174 . Furthermore, Microsoft has adressed other burning issues with WindowsXP, see http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;324129

What make model do you have?
    ======
    To determine your make and model of your optical drives; if you happen to have Nero Infotools installed, start it up and under the Drive tab, it will list all the relevant specifications and capabilities of your burner. The actual name of your burner is listed in the drop-down box at the top (those numbers before the name of your burner are important too!). You can get InfoTools from http://www.cd-rw.org/software/cdr_software/cdr_tools/nero_info_tool.cfm_X_X_X_X_X_[small]ASUS A7V8X-X, AMD2500+
    Samsung 1024MB, PC2700
    360GB [3x120GB, 7200, 8MB]
    MSI Starforce, GeForce4 Ti4400 128MB

AFTERDAWN IRC: irc.emule-project.net, #ad_buddies
    COME SAY HI![/small]

Last edited: Oct 7, 2003
  3. annerain

annerain Member

Hi,
    No none of that worked and the update to the IMAPI is no longer there. I am still trying to find it. Now my cd rw will not even read a disk and the last time I used it, it made an odd sound but burned the cd. My b/f had me copy a data cd of his that he said kept messing up his pc. I know better than to let him or any of his data near my system because it messes something up. If I put in my win xp disk and click repair might that help? This cd rw is about 3 years old and it may be time for me to upgrade anyway. It has been in two different systems.I was looking at cd rw drives and found some pretty cheap without cables included. The one I have now is 8x4x32 so do I need new cables?
    Thanks
    Anne

4. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

1. Try the link now. I messed up when i typed it hehe

2. You dont need new cables

3. Might i suggest you get an ASUS 522452 burner? (i have one and i love it)