1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My Comp Hangs when I backup/re-author...

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by foxychick, Apr 15, 2007.

1. foxychick

foxychick Member

my computer completely hangs up when i try to back up or reauthor dvds. take note that the files i use are from my D: drive. anyone know why this is? i have used dvd shrink last yr to shrink dvd files w/out any problems but my comp got reformatted. now i'v downloaded dvd shrink again & this problem is frustrating me...

2. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

You've created a problem after your format. DVD Shrink is made to work with files from multiple sources, so getting them from your D: drive is no issue. I have the program on C and get files from D, E, and H hard drives and F, G, I, and J optical and virtual drives. At what point does the problem occur? When you click to open Re-author or when you select Backup? Does the transcoding even start or does it fail when you click the button to get started in Backup? Are there any error messages and if so, what are they?

So far you've given us a symptom with little to go on. Have you tried deleting Shrink and reloading it? By the way, what is the operating system for your new format? When you say format, did you wipe the drive clean or did you just reload Windows over the old format?

Last edited: Apr 15, 2007
  3. dialysis1

dialysis1 Regular member

Make sure you have Enable Burning With Nero unchecked.

4. foxychick

foxychick Member

the problem occurs when the encoding starts. like just 2 secs into it it all hangs up, on both re-authoring & backing up and no error message. i dont have nero installed here. hmmm i'll try downloading again & re-installing it. for the reformat thing I had it reformatted at a computer store so i dont really know if they wiped the drive clean or they reloaded it over the old format. OS is still the same from before, windows xp.

5. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

Too bad you don't know about the reformat. Those guys at the tech center sometimes take the easy out and just reload Windows. Was everything gone after the reformat or did you have some of your old files, mail or programs?

Since the program failed during the transcoding portion, you need to see if it will happen with another program at the same point. Try the trial for DVDCopy5 from http://www.intervideo.com and see if you get the same problem when you got to transcode.

6. foxychick

foxychick Member

The C drive was wiped out after reformatting. I downloaded dvd shrink again from another site and it now works perfect, thanks! do you by any chance know the step by step to shrink the dvd files?

7. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

Yes, but ddlooping has a collection of good starter guides with some of them being interactive. Check them at http://www.dvdshrink.info , if that isn't what you're looking for, I'm sure we can walk you through it. Remember you need something to decrypt the files for Shrink, click Here for a software pack that will take care of it. There are instructions included that may help you with your question about using Shrink.