1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

my comp is way too hot

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by aXidburn, May 26, 2004.

1. aXidburn

aXidburn Guest

i need to cool my comp down...what way would be the best, or the best to get some new fans or hdd coolers or cpu fan or something?..
    my comp is
    athlon 64 3200+
    msi k8t neo
    512mb ram
    ati 9800 pro all in wonder
    maxtor 120 gig hdd
    seagate 160 gig hdd

2. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

Forgot the critical compoents required to formulate an answer! :p budget and noise vs effectiveness
    1. There is a thread dedicated to this topic: http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/81431
    2. Get a new CPU cooler and you should be fine (throw in a bunch of Tornados to be sure

3. aXidburn

aXidburn Guest

4. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

I'd try to get something in all copper if at all possible. Copper is a much better conductor than aluminum which translates into more efficient cooling :)

5. Praetor

I said it somewhere before and I would copy-paste but i cant remember where i said it but copper is better than aluminum at grabbing heat from a source (i.e., your cpu) and the temp of a plain copper HS will quickly rise to indictae that fact. Now an Aluminum HS is better at holding the heat and still being functional. What I mean is that copper is an excellent material however you need to have a constant flow of air pasing over it to make sure the HS doesnt get "saturated" with heat (at which point it becomes, in the best case, inefficient and in the worse, becomes an insulator of heat for your cpu). Aluminum on the otherhand can absorb mass quantites of heat (compared to copper at least) and still maintain effectiveness/efficiency. This is the reason ASUS northbridge heatsinks are always aluminum and dont have fans (the fans contribute to dust) and you will also note that other mobos like the ABITs that do have copper northbridge heatsinks also have a fan -- moral of the story? Copper is only good with a fan.

Putting this all together, this is the reasoning behind copper/aluminum hybrid HSFs -- the copper quickly wicks the heat to the aluminum (which can take its time passively cooling itself) and ensures that the CPU is also cool.

6. aXidburn

aXidburn Guest

ok which cpu cooler should i get?

also u know about the paste ur suppost to put on between the heatsink and cpu, u recommend it?
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]AMD athlon 64 3200+
    ATI 9800 pro all in wonder
    Memorex dual x format
    ps2 v10, Magic V 5K6[/small]

Last edited by a moderator: May 27, 2004
  7. Praetor

8. aXidburn

aXidburn Guest

all the Aluminum ones still have fans tho

9. Praetor

Yes but the thing is if they DIDNT have fans, they would last longer than copper ones and there are cases where Aluminum is still useful