1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My comp will only cold boot !

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by lowpro804, Jan 15, 2008.

1. lowpro804

lowpro804 Member

well im not shure how this happend but one day i just decided to restart and it just stays off and my bios doesn't have a chance to even load anything .........but while in this state if i hit the reset button it will start up just like it should....and now i thought it might be my install of xp but i had to re-install anyway and so i did with vista even and it still does it, so i guess im just looking for some advice on what part of my hardware is responsable for this or is it just a setting in the bios ? thank's for anything

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

moved to correct forum as not a windows issue.

3. Blackjax

Blackjax Regular member

make model of motherboard/computer please, a little more info on the hardware will go a long way for help here. thanks

4. lowpro804

lowpro804 Member

Ok well mt board is a ASROCK ALiveNF6G-VISTA with Nvidia chipset REV.A1 , the BIOS is from amarican megatrends Inc. version P1.60 made in 2007 , i have currently 3 Gig's DDR2 667-Mhz , and my CPU is an AMD x2 4400+ factory 2.32 but overclocked to a 2.60. Now i thought my overclocking might be causing it to do that because even after i save my changes in the BIOS and exit it restarts and does it too, i bet it's just one of those silly little things that im overlooking ,but again thanks for anything anyone !

5. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

try clearing the cmos to see what happens.

6. Blackjax

Blackjax Regular member

Agreed ddp. reset cmos by following board mfg. directions. Any kind of OC'ing can cause the system to lock up! Especially on the asrock boards as they are lower end asus boards. Not knockin asus as this is what I run!