1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

my computer is f'd up AGAIN!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by windman43, Dec 3, 2007.

1. windman43

windman43 Member

idk what happened. all i know is i was trying to overclock the ram and when the computer restarted it went a completely black screen with nothing but my mouse cursor and now everytime after that i dont get anything when i turn it on, not even the BIOS screen. but if i take out the cmos battery itll let me get the BIOS screen and allow me to tweak BIOS, but that its. if i tweak it just goes to a black screen again. if i just let try to start up it brings up a screen that says something like check sum error and asks me to choose a bios or cmos profile, whatever it is it still dont fix anything. so any ideas? ive tryd fixing it myself for the past week with no success i need my computer back :-( im sad and lonely without it. thansk in advance to all who help.

2. RottenKid

RottenKid Member

A checksum is computed as an error-detecting code, to protect the BIOS settings stored in the CMOS memory. Each time the system is booted this number is recomputed and checked against the stored value. If they do not match, an error message is generated to tell you that the CMOS memory contents may have been corrupted and therefore some settings may be wrong. BIOSes react in different ways to encountering this sort of error. Some will warn the user and then continue on with whatever settings were in the CMOS. Others will assume that the settings that were in the CMOS were corrupted and will load default values stored in the BIOS chip "for safety reasons". The error message will indicate which your system is doing.

Diagnosis: The most common cause of checksum errors in CMOS is a battery that is losing power. Viruses can also affect CMOS settings, and motherboard problems can also affect the stored values(doubt it).

Try flashing your cmos, ussally a strong company like asus would have the ability to resort back to the old version, but many companies have weak cmoses.

3. RottenKid

RottenKid Member

Like I said early your battery being dead, maybe you put it in backwards, so it cant store current configuration in the Cmos. Or if you put it backward once, it can short the battery and ruin it, so it would have no power to save your CMOS settings

4. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Corrupt BIOSes can alter certain settings that can cause all sorts of havoc with your system. It may be worthwhile flashing your BIOS to force the settings back to their proper defaults.

5. windman43

windman43 Member

thanks for the advice rottenkid, but sam's stuff worked. thanks to both of you. i thought i'd die without my computer, lol.