1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My computer is shutting down?????

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by brianson, Nov 24, 2005.

1. Krash8

Krash8 Member

I had the same problem. Ended up being an annoying Virus that changed some settings to my computer causing it to shut down every 10 minutes or so. I called dell and they walked me through how to reverse the problem. Forgot what virus it was. I got it from the old Kazaa.

2. Alien13

Alien13 Guest

Ahh, well its happening AGAIN :( Ill try get into it in safe mode and run a virus scan.

3. Krash8

Krash8 Member

Virus scans not going to do it man. Settings were changed in my bias so dell had to walk me through and change them back.

4. Alien13

Alien13 Guest

Ahh, well its stopped now, man this is annoying it doesnt work then it works, it doesnt work, then it does :(

5. Krazymale

Krazymale Regular member

I had the same problem and it was a viruse. You need to format your PC, thats what I done and its all gone after i reset the whole system.

Good luck

6. orngcrsh

orngcrsh Regular member

my dell nispiron 1100 is doing the same thing. Just shutting off.
    I ran the dell diagnostics disk (until it shut off) and it said that the fan was spinning around 6500rpm when it should have been spinning at around 4500rpm, ran same test again (twice) and it was fine.
    I have been trying to do a restore but cant get computer to stay on long enough. Any other ideas?

7. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

check the cpu heatsink is not clogged with dust. what is the cpu temperature in the bios if there?

8. orngcrsh

orngcrsh Regular member

i'll check for dust... good posibility as i live in an EXTREMELY dusty area. and sorry if i sound like an idiot but what is BIOS?
    ...Thanks by the way

9. orngcrsh

orngcrsh Regular member

just ran dell diagnostics symptom tree and checked the CPU Thermistor - Sensor range test and Processer Fan - Fan on/off test.
    Both passed
    also just ran problems with fans or system seems hot, all passed as well

10. ddp

bios is the permanent memory of the computer that tells the cpu what to do til the os kicks in.

11. Alien13

Alien13 Guest

ok.... its happening again...

We decided to upgrade the CPU to a 1.0ghz as its as much as the MOBO can take... and it started restarting again... Also because the CPU fan that came with the 1.0ghz cpu didnt fit so we had to use the733mhz fan.... before that it started restarting after we added more RAM we added a 512mb to it but then it stopped.

Soooo, we decided to fresh install windows XP home but it cant finish as the comp keeps restarting :(

Could it be because the PSU is only 250w...

Any help would be good :)

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 24, 2006
  12. orngcrsh

orngcrsh Regular member

just to let ya'll know, i blew it out really god and, reformatted and reinstalled XP and it seems to be working fine. Thanks!!

13. ddp

alien, can you try another psu to see if that solves the restart problem. reseat all cards, ram & cables to motherboard & drives.

14. Alien13

Alien13 Guest

Nah.... the only other PSU is in the main comp which only has the input for power... the old comp needs 2, 1 input for power and 1 input for the screen.

I was thinking of getting either 350w or 450w before this happened.

Ok i will un plug everything then put it all back and see what happens :)

15. taporsnap

taporsnap Member

i have the same problem either it's a virus or a conflictor a damage file in your system 32!! anyways i've been running in safe mode for 2 weeks now just waiting for a new HD and i will reformat!!! i've search and search for a few weeks now and no answer!! backup your files and scrub your drive and start from fresh.

16. Alien13

Alien13 Guest

We have started fresh but the setup wont finish because the comp keeps restaring.

Trying to find a PSU with both the inputs is hard....

If a PSU is made for P4 can you use it with a P3 mobo, of will the connector be different ??

[edit] I unplugged the connectors but its still restarting :(

If you have any free time could you take a QUICK look at these sites and let me know if i can use any of those PSU's because im not sure which has 2 inputs or 1 input :(

http://www.i-tech.com.au/
    http://www.megapc.com.au/
    http://www.coolpc.com.au/

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 25, 2006
  17. ddp

alien, the power connector for the momitor will fit the power cable of the computer. so get another power cable, plug into the monitor cable & than plug into power bar or whatever your cpmputer is plugged into. that is an old monitor to have that type of power connector!

18. Alien13

Alien13 Guest

Ok, so what i have to do is, get a cable with the input for the computer moniter that plugs straight into the power point.

Ok i will have to see if they have one at the local computer store....

So that means we dont need to find one with 2 inputs...cool...
    What would you reccommend 350w or 450w?

19. ddp

just get another power cord as like what the tower(?) uses. 450watt is good

20. Alien13

Alien13 Guest

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 26, 2006