1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My computer randomly restarts for no reason.

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Mole55, Jan 8, 2005.

1. Mole55

Mole55 Guest

Can somone help me, my computer just randomly restarts and sometimes when i get back to the desktop it says your computer has recovered from a serious error.
    someone please help me

2. Mik3h

Mik3h Regular member

You'r not the only one there. EXACTLY the same happens to me and it's a bugger as I do things that take a while. I was shrinking down a movie, 4 hours later - 98% restarted. I could have chucked the thing outta the window..

Any Help Guys?

3. Mole55

Mole55 Guest

Mik3h I know, i was downloading a file for my pc that took like 5 hours and at 94% it restarted. I was sooo mad. I really want to fix this problem.

4. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

well, for most of your restarts, i would say it's an overheating issue. but someone with much more knowledge in this area will come along soon and help you out. i am curious as to what operating system you are running, what processor, how many fans, etc? some basic information may be of use to those who will attempt to diagnose your problem.

5. Mole55

Mole55 Guest

well my pc is compaq presario, my system is windows xp, i think i have one medium sized fan.

6. DynoO

DynoO Member

i dont think its over heating it just started happening 2 like 10 people i know and a few computers in my dads car dealership..it seems like some freeky shits happening it started all at once

7. Mole55

Mole55 Guest

Well, this was happening to me a few months ago and i was so sick of it that i just formated my whole pc and started fresh. it stopped happening until now.

8. DynoO

DynoO Member

i just started rehappening like 2 weeks ago?

9. Mole55

Mole55 Guest

about 1 week ago.

10. wdowsing

wdowsing Regular member

Its the same for me at work, im happerly (well i say happerly) when the thing just restarts and losses all my work, and seems to happen 2 mins b4 my boss comes in and tells me off 4 doing nothin, ne ideas, pretty sure its not overheating either

11. Mole55

Mole55 Guest

Ya I am pretty sure mine isnt overheating either.

12. dlc2000

dlc2000 Regular member

im not too sure what the problem is but have ran any spyware removal tools or any antivirus tools ? some times viruses and spyware have been known to crash computers . if you dont think its hardware related than it could very well be viruses or spyware .

13. mesh

mesh Member

OK, It could be a few things.

Power supply- A common culprit for random restarting, if power supply is bad replace immediatley, when power supplys go out, they tend to take your motherboard and ram with them to the grave.

Overheating is a possibility, take the cover off your case and run the computer for several days, make sure its being ventilated, if the problem improves or goes away there is your solution, add more fans and a better heatsink for the processor.

Its also possible you could have a virus, make sure you have anti-virus software up to date and scan your system, viruses like msblast and its hundreds of variants like netsky would cause systems to restart.

14. wdowsing

wdowsing Regular member

at work a few months ago we had a netsky virus, so that would make sense

15. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

run ad-aware se & spybot s&d for spyware, run avg7(free version) besides your antivirus program & also do an online scan with www.antivirus.com free housecall for viruses. empty your windows cookies, temp & temporary internet folders first before running programes. check your msconfig/startup for things not to be there

16. Mole55

Mole55 Guest

Thanks, ill start to scan my pc, and look for the spyware stuff.

17. DynoO

DynoO Member

i dunno if thats it i scanned for virus' nothing 3 diff progs...i did spyware/adwear scan..3 progs and nothing fixed it...i dunno if someone finds something post it

18. Divinus

Divinus Guest

Most of the time the PSU (Power Supply Unit) is the culprit when people are "randomly restarting" for no reason. It could also be heat related but doubtful.

You say you guys have checked for a virus, so I'm guessing your PSU is overheating and restarting or it's not giving you enough power on a certain line(s).

Those of you that are having the weird restart problem... Could you guys post what brand of PSU you have as well as it's wattage. Also, all the hardware that's connected to your computer.

19. Mole55

Mole55 Guest

Um could you please tell me where I can find the info on my pcu. Also, I have bluetooth wireless, asus video card, and wireless internet card.

20. wdowsing

wdowsing Regular member

right should b on the psu itself, i have nothin extra just mointer on the motherboard, mouse, keyboard, and lan, thats it. PSU should be albe to cope fine.