1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My computer restarts on its own ever 5 to 10 seconds

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by DH0283, Feb 28, 2005.

1. DH0283

DH0283 Member

I only know little about computers, but my computer restarts as I get to my desktop. It restarts when I did scandisk, mcafee virusscan, and defragmentation. Its been doing this for a while and I have no virus or worms or trojans. So, I formatted my hard drive and it still continues to restart 5 to 10 seconds to my desktop. I installed a new hard drive and it does the same thing. What could be the problem? Can somebody help me?

2. djscoop

djscoop Active member

doubt its the hard drive. my guess is power supply or motherboard. start by buying a new power supply, cause if not its cheap and you can easily return it. what do you think ddp?

3. haymarket

haymarket Regular member

Overheating Processor is a good possibility as well. Could be damaged or the fan is dying.

4. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

this should be in other pc hardware forum. reseat all cards, ram & cables to drives & motherboard. check that the cpu heatsink is clear of dust & the fan is spinning. check all cans(capacitors) on mother board are flat topped not domed. if video card has a fan do the same as cpu part