1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My computer shows CD not DVD and NOTHING burns anymore

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by frankieT, Apr 29, 2005.

1. frankieT

frankieT Member

Hi to all here-
    I've got a series of recurring and random problems
    I'm using a Philips DVDRW824K/00 - updated to 1.4 firmware
    First, some days I can burn, then others not for no apparent reason. Today Nero and Sonic keep inisisting to insert blank DVDs and I know they're blank. Nothing seems to be accepted also -RW dvds.
    Second, the burner seems ok with -R one day and the next not, all of a sudden it wants +R dvds or what? Just for the record, yesterday I burnt many .avi files onto DVD-R.Today no luck.
    Third - maybe it's first - sometimes my computer shows the drive as DVD and other times it shows up as a CD burner.
    What's going on?!
    I've had these troubles for a while and have installed and re-installed many times and I've no idea why the problems are so random.
    I'm trying to burn data and avi files etc. from Hard disk - not ripping.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

2. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

hi

on first impression, i would say some app somewhere is trying to acces your drives maybe? like INCD from nero, there are others of packet writing software! and i think philips makes it! did you load any sofware that come with your drive?
    --------------------------------------------
    also need to check some hardware settings out! read below and follow!
    --------------------------------------------
    1. Running Programs

Make sure you quit all running background programs, such as anti-virus software.

Windows 95 Users
    Use the Ctrl-Alt-Del function to quit all the programs using the Task Manager, EXCEPT for the Explorer, systray, and your recording software

Windows 98/ME Users
    Select [Start] -> [Run], then input "msconfig". Disable everything under the [Startup] tab, except "system tray'.

Windows 2000/XP Users
    Open the Task Manager, then select the program/s under the [Application] tab, then click [End Task].

2. Drive Connection

Other devices may be interfering with the CD-R/RW drive. Disconnect all other removable devices, then try recording again. If there is still a problem, try the following.

Optimal Hardware Configuration

All hard drives are placed on the Primary IDE, check that the drives are correctly set as master/slave. CD-ROM/CD-R/RW drives are placed on the Secondary IDE, set the recording drive as the "master". If you are using a USB or IEEE devices, disconnect them.

Update your chipset

Windows 95/98/ME Users
    Right click on [My Computer] and select [Properties] from the menu. Click on [Device Manager], then click to open [Hard Disk Controllers]. You will find: the Primary IDE Channel controller, the Secondary IDE Channel controller and a brand name controller, e.g. Intel, SIS, VIA, etc. The brand name controller is what needs to be updated. Please visit their website to obtain these updates.

Windows NT/2000/XP Users
    Right click on [My Computer] and select [Properties] from the menu. Click [Device Manager] on the [Hardware] tab, then click to open the [IDE ATA/ATAPI (hard disk) controllers] section. You will find: the Primary IDE Channel controller, Secondary IDE Channel controller, and a brand name controller, e.g. Intel, SIS, VIA, etc. The brand name controller is what needs to be updated. Please visit their website to obtain these updates.

Configure Windows
    Make sure that your operating system has been fully updated. Visit the Microsoft website to acquire these updates.

3. ASPI Manager

Check your ASPI layer configuration. Your recording program is likely to use the standard windows ASPI layer, which has been replaced by another ASPI layer of yet another recording program. Make sure you have the original windows ASPI layer in use and retry. If the problem persists, contact the drive maker.

4. DMA Settings

Setting DMA mode:

Windows 95/98/ME Users

Right click on [My Computer] and select [Properties] from the menu. Click on [Device Manager], then click on [CD-ROM]. This will expand to show the CD drives on your system. Right click on a drive and select [Properties] from the menu. Click on the [Settings] tab and check that the [DMA] option is enabled. Repeat this procedure for the remaining CD drives.

Win NT/2000/XP Users

Right click on [My Computer] and select [Properties] from the menu. Click [Device Manager] on the [Hardware] tab, then click to open the [IDE ATA/ATAPI (hard disk) controllers] section. You will find: the Primary IDE Channel controller, Secondary IDE Channel controller. Complete the following procedure:

Right click on the Primary IDE controller and select [Properties] from the menu.
    Select the [Advanced Settings] tab. Check that the [Transfer Mode] for both devices is set to [DMA if available].
    Repeat this for Secondary IDE controller.

Note: In some cases older CD-ROM drives will not support DMA mode. In that case please set both devices to PIO mode.

5. Disc

Recording errors often occur when the disc is dirty, or has fingerprints or scratches. If an error occurred during test simulation (before actual recording), clean the disc. If you are getting recording errors, try the following.
    Use a different blank, recordable disc.
    Use a different manufacturer's disc.
    Ensure the disc is clean before recording:
    Remove all fingerprints, dirt, and dust from the shiny side of your disc using a nonabrasive cloth with a mild, nonabrasive soap solution.
    Wipe the disc from the center to the edge of the disc.
    Dry the disc completely.

Error during file verification
    If an error occurred when the files were being verified, record the same files again using a different disc.

Read error when copying a disc
    When copying a disc, if an error occurred while reading data from the original disc, the original disc may be scratched or dirty.
    Try cleaning the disc.
    Remove all fingerprints, dirt, and dust from the shiny side of your disc using a nonabrasive cloth with a mild, nonabrasive soap solution.
    Wipe the disc from the center to the edge of the disc.
    Dry the disc completely.
    Try using a different source drive.
    To change the drive you use to read your disc, click the Change button when asked to insert a source disc into your drive tray.
    Select the drive you wish to use from the drop-down menu.
    Insert your disc into the new drive.
    Try using copying the disc using one drive as both the source and destination drive.
    When you use your recorder to both read and write to your disc, B's Recorder GOLD creates an image file of the entire disc to your hard drive and then copies that temporary file onto your blank disc. This can be helpful if the drive you are using to read your original disc is slow or unreliable.

If the problem persists, contact the drive maker.

6. Drive

If you have tried Actions 1 through 5 above, there may be a problem with your drive. Contact the drive maker with details of the error code. If the 5th and 6th digit of the error code is 80 through FF, then the error code is maker unique. The descriptions of these error codes differ depending on the maker.

3. frankieT

frankieT Member

Thanks for replying Rotary...

I've removed Nero and other progs I wasn't sure of and I've got the DVD drive back in my computer. But still no recording and receiving the message insert blank dvd/cd every time. The same problem for my older CD burner too - Waitec Saurus.
    I've run through most of the suggestions - don't have other device interference; configuration, updates, DMA all seem ok; discs are new and clean. Clearly there something I'm missing here but since the burners were operational 2 days ago, I'm not too keen on doing major overhaul.
    The question is how come things were working and now not?
    I'll keep at it...
    Cheers

4. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

hi

have you treid uninstalling the drives in device manager, it wont hurt anything!!!!!!!

then reboot to get drives back! i would get the latest via4in1 drivers for your motherboard from the website! and install them! or if you use intel drivers get thoses!

also try uninstalling the controller too, dont worry it will be fine! just reboot...

but definatlty get the drivers updated!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. frankieT

frankieT Member

Thanks again for coming back...
    Yes, uninstalled drives a few times already.
    Have already updated drives. Will uninstall controller as suggested.Will check for mobo updates.

I was writing this just before reading your post. Maybe it helps:

This is the error message I get :

Sense: 05 ASC: 24 ASCQ: 00 (Command 55)
    -------------------------------------------------------
    Apparently this is:

5 / 24 / 00 INVALID FIELD IN CDB

I read the forum items on 'invalid field' and on quality discs etc.

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/159418

Am I right in assuming Invalid field is Power Calibration Error?

Media is clean, burner has new firmware,lens is clean

a) Using DVD identifier I checked the discs - it didn't recognise any DVD-R. In fact, it states my DVD is only +R/+RW which is WEIRD because I've burnt onto -R. Any help here?

b) so I checked a +RW disc and this is the record:
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Unique Disc Identifier : [DVD+RW:MKM-A02-000]
    Disc & Book Type : [DVD+RW] - [Not Available]
    Manufacturer Name : [Mitsubishi Kagaku Media]
    Manufacturer ID : [MKM]
    Media Type ID : [A02]
    Product Revision : [Not Specified]
    Blank Disc Capacity : [2,295,104 Sectors = 4,482.6MB = 4.38GB (4.70GB)]
    Recording Speeds : [1x , 2.4x , 4x]
    [ DVD Identifier - http://DVD.Identifier.CDfreaks.com ]

[11:35:26] DVD Identifier V3.6.3
    [11:35:26] Initializing ASPI/SPTI Drive Interface
    [11:35:26] SPTI Drive Interface Successfully Initialized
    [11:35:27] 1 Supported Drive Found (Out Of 3 Available Drives)
    [11:35:27] Manufacturer Database [10-APR-05@532$80] Loaded From File : (@532$80) Entries Found
    [11:45:26] Waiting For Drive To Initialize Disc...
    [11:45:32] DVD+R/+RW Medium Detected. Starting Identification...
    [11:45:32] ** Initiating ADIP Retrieval Method 1 (Original ADIP)
    [11:45:32] ADIP Read Method 1 Completed Without Errors
    [11:45:32] Disc Identification Completed Successfully

3 So then I think OK it wants +R/+Rw NOW! What the hell, so I give it a go again. NO luck, it spits out this disc again and gives the same error message as at the top here:

Sense: 05 ASC: 24 ASCQ: 00 (Command 55)

Not a nice feeling running round in circles!! Time for a coke and a smoke...

Any further tips much appreciated.
    Thanks for your help

6. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

hi there

umm? not sure with that? but iwould definatly go try some other brand of disc and try ritek go5, then see what happens...