1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My converted mpg's are jumpy!

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by Magic, Jan 14, 2003.

1. Magic

Magic Member

Please help. This is my second post on this topic and no one seems to have an idea.

When I convert my downloaded avi the mpg is jumpy and stuttery. I have tried using other software (Xing/TMPGEnc) to convert but I get the same outcome.

This is a problem that has only just started. I have a few VCD's burned that are fine. Now I can't get any file to work.

I have codecs divx and Nimo build 7. ANY suggestions would be really appriciated.

2. huw

huw Member

Are you burning them too fast? I burn mine at 4x only now. My vcd atempts were jumpy & went blocky sometimes. I switched to svcd which are giving far superior results.
    I am using VDub to extract the sound & TMPEGEnc to encode & NTI to burn.

3. Magic

Magic Member

No. If I watch the mpg's on the computer it is doing the same thing.

4. huw

huw Member

Ok - Are you checking the frames per second & selecting your format accordingly??
    I'm clutching at straws now - sorry.

5. Magic

Magic Member

No need to apologise. Is there a specific value for frames per second? What determines that I am selecting the correct format?

6. huw

huw Member

ah - something I can answer.
    You need VirtualDub 1.4. Open VirtualDub, then go File/Open & select your video file. Then go File/File Info & it will give you everything you need to know.

TMPEGEnc shows you all the different fps that are supported in the Wizard. Check this out http://www.vcdhelp.com/tmpgencsvcd.htm. WWW.vcdhelp.com is a VERY useful site.

Good luck. :)

7. DerJoe

DerJoe Member

Hi,
    I had the same problem, remember??? Anyway, in my case it helped to take the DVD Player back to the store and get a different one! I had a Cyberhome (402 or 407 I think) which is supposed to be able to handle vcd!
    My files were smooth played on the computer though!
    CU, Joe

8. Magic

Magic Member

huw, huw, huw. You are the man. Boy, four weeks I've been slaving over codecs and different programs. I can't believe it was something as straight-forward as that. I feel like such a pillock!

Once again...I love you man...(sorry, getting carried away) **runs round the room with joy**

9. huw

huw Member

Magic - glad to hear you have it sorted. :)
    Enjoy.

10. loaded

loaded Moderator Staff Member

Guys, you seem to be sorted, but on the same note :

Downloaded .avi files will always be fairly poor quality, often expecially when converted to .mpg

Guys like for example tmd, who are found all over Kazza, do lots of cam pirate movies. They reduce the frame rate to about 13 per second in order to get it downloaded fast. This is bad enough, but when you convert the movie into mpg (25 fps) and the movie is re encoded, the speed obviosuly don't match and the movie is getting even poorer quality.

There is no solution to this. Shit in, shit out!

Paul.

11. Dela

Dela Administrator Staff Member

I have one word, sharereactor, shoulkd i say anymore??

TMD don't make those cams or anything either they just get the copies off the real groups and slap a TMD moviez purple logo on it. that screws up the quality of a conversion too throwing pink all over the screen. the best thing to do is just get the real images of those cds (which is why i said sharereactor, of coarse i could have said irc too ;-)

EDIT: Great to see you on the forum again loaded.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2003
  12. huw

huw Member

I have downloaded loads of avi movies & never seen a 13fps movie - all are 23.97, 25 or 29. I have convered loads into SVCD's with excellent results. They look to be very close in quality to DVD's.

Looks like you have had some bad luck.

13. Dela

I take it you are downloading from something more reliable than kazaa then yes?? If so then good!

14. huw

huw Member

Yes - I use WinMX. I think the problem with Kazaa is that the more you share the greater your bandwidth priority.
    This gives people the incentive to not only rename crap files to recent movies, but also to create low quality smaller files that download quicker. After all - you don't know that until you get it.
    This is my understanding of Kazaa - if it's wrong, please let me know.

As a rule - an avi full length movie should 650mb +. If you see a full length movie at 300mb, or cd1 & cd2 at 160mb each, then don't bother.

15. Dela

Well i suppose WinMX is better than kazaa but not much better. In my experience, Direct Connect and eMule are the best. You are right about kazaa and bandwidth priority. You also right about the small filesizes from tmd. You shouldn't bother downloading them files!