1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

my drive wont recoginize dvd's

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by sam7, Mar 5, 2007.

1. sam7

sam7 Member

I havea nec 2500A dvd +- rw and I recently upgraded my fireware. Took no problem(i thought). Now, My drive will play dvd's and cd's but when i put a blank dvd in my system wont detect it nor will any of my burning software. I don't understand, any suggestions

2. sam7

sam7 Member

ok i inserted a dvd+r and it recognized it....But not the dvd-r they are both memorex disk and have never had any problems until i changed the firmware

3. 300bowler

300bowler Regular member

For future reference Memorex is not considered good media here at all.

For the best results in dvd burning only use the best which is
    Taiyo Yuden or Verbatims.

4. sam7

sam7 Member

So your answer is to change to another brand and that will solve the problem? Ok why would the drive recoginize dvd+r memorex and not dvd-r thats the problem. But thats gonna solve it if it would recoginize the disk i have no problem doing that but like i said i haven't had a problem with that before.. can you give me a better or more technical answer plz.

5. sam7

sam7 Member

Ok i now have tried verbatim disk and it wont recognize any dvd-r disk..An expensive find...lol what do i do know? What should i try? Somebody help me ????????

6. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Did you flash the correct firmware?

http://forum.rpc1.org/dl_firmware.php?download_id=1740

There's 2 different firmware versions,1 for NEC and 1 for the Siemen's drives.The difference would be the drive with the siemens chipset is a rebadged NEC 2100A,so a different drive as apposed to the OEM NEC 2500A drive.

[bold]Are you still using the same spindles of memorex that you were burning before and after the firmware update?[/bold]

If you switched spindles,the MID code can change. Same thing will happen when you go from 8x to 16x speed media,the MID code will change,even on identical packs.This is what gives memorex a bad rap.Same goes for the dash format.

When people burn ok with 8x media,then accidentally got the same brand name,but 16x-firmware issues can arrise.

Here's some plus format memorex that I have used:

MEMOREX:
    +4X MADE IN TAIWAN: RICOHJPN-R02
    +8X MADE IN TAIWAN 30 PKS: CMC-MAG-E01
    +8X MADE IN TAIWAN 5 PK: RITEK-R03
    +16x Made in Taiwan 50 pk: Ricohjnp-r03-004

+4X RW MADE IN TAIWAN: PHILLIPS 041

Notice +8x are made by Cmag and Riteks. Quite a bit of difference in quality. Same for the +16x,but the very good ricohs are what I got a hold of. Probably some cmags on the next batch of +16x memorex if I went out to buy another 50 pk?

Same applies to HP,Maxell,Fuji,TDK,sony,and most brand named media. That's why Verbatim and Taiyo Yuden are suggested.

What's the MID codes for them?

Can you burn your +r discs and play them ok in your stand alone players and pc drives?