1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My DVD is too large to fit on a DVD-R

Discussion in 'DVD2One forum' started by Destiny63, Oct 10, 2003.

1. Destiny63

Destiny63 Member

Please bear with me, as I am very much a newbie to DVD burning. I've used DVD Decrypter to decrypt the files and have used DVD2One to create the next stage for burning with Nero 6. If I select all the sessions during the DVD2One decryption, Nero says that my DVD-R isn't big enough. I know I can just select the main movie only, but I would like the beginning of the DVD copy to emulate the original as much as possible, but perhaps leave out special scenes or something else, but can't actually remember what other choices were on the original DVD. Is there any way of determining which of the VOB files I can leave off without having a huge effect on the original DVD, or is this too much of an ask from a novice :s. BTW, the DVD seems to be marginally too small by maybe 1 or 2 MBs.

2. Nightlite

Nightlite Guest

Run it through again and save to a different directry

3. Destiny63

Destiny63 Member

Just thought I'd add that I tried this and it made no difference. I ended up getting a different original (which was Kangaroo Jack) to copy, and that worked fine. Thanks anyway :)

4. Nightlite

Nightlite Guest

Sorry maybe I was not clear. When I have run into the problem of Nero saying too large a file... I run the results of dvd2one.. ( that folder through dvd2one again and save it to another folder ( this means in the end you have it on your drive 3 times 1. from dvd decrypter, 2. first run through dvd2one. 3. second run through dvd2one ) I have had to use this way very few times and I know others know a fast way... but it works.

5. Destiny63

Destiny63 Member

Thanx for the clarification...will try that next time :)

6. Bodene

Bodene Regular member

What exactly do you mean by...sessions?

If you set DVD Decryptor to rip the entire disk, then put the resuylting files thru DVD2One with it set to DVD +/- R(W) 4472mb, it will compress the whole shabang to a size that will fit on the dvd-r. You shouldn't need to run it thru again. If you are getting a small txt or other file on top of the shrunk ifo, bup, and vob files, don't include that in what you drag over to Nero 6 to burn. That happened to me once. When I removed it, it burnt just fine.

Are you dragging ONLY ifo, bup, and vob files into the VIDEO_TS folder that Nero provides?

7. Nightlite

Nightlite Guest

No you should have to run it through again... but sometimes, actually Rarely the results do come a touch too large for the disk and running it through again... takes care of that.

8. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

huh?? Running things through twice?? What you all talking about? Decrypt it in DVD Decrypter OCE. Change the settings of DVD2One to less than 4472MB if you are having trouble (though 4472MB is ALWAYS fine with me) and burn as DVD ROM UDF/ISo in Nero inside a VIDEO_TS folder.

9. Nightlite

Nightlite Guest

" I have had to use this way very few times and I know others know a fast way... but it works."
    Oriphus,
    you were slow on that one..Knew you someone knew a faster way... but would you not be doing it twice once you found it did not fit or do you always choose smaller on everything?

10. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

lol - There would be no reason to run it through a compression program twice. it makes no sense. By compressing it twice is not the same as say DivX two pass encoding. It merely is a strange and time-consuming way to do it. But good luck with it anyway Nightlife ;-D

By the way - when i said decrypt in DVD decrypter OCE - i meant ONCE

11. spruk

spruk Guest

In reply to this I use dvd decrypter then use dvd shrink with this you can fit all the ripped disc files onto dvd-r and shrink to 4.3 to fit onto disc. then use copy to dvd.
    I have had no trouble with this format.

12. Irocz005

Irocz005 Regular member

The software compression whether its DVD2One or DVDshrink should always shrink it to fit the standard DVD-R media unless you specify it otherwise. It should come like that with its default settings.

13. Destiny63

Destiny63 Member

Thanx for your comments guys. As I said originally, I've been using DVD2One to decrypt the files, but it doesn't compress DVD-9 movies enough to fit on a standard DVD-R. Most of the new movies these days seem to be DVD-9. I like to keep all the menus as opposed to decrypting the movie only, that would be too easy...hehe. I'll try DVD Shrink next and see if that works.

14. Irocz005

Irocz005 Regular member

When I was new to all this wonderful software out there, and I did not belong to any chat forums, I just experimented until I got the process for backing up/compressing movies to a perfection. When something does not work, try something else. Oh and third time is not always the charm :)

15. pieman

pieman Regular member

I must be doing something wrong.Every dvd ive backed up 5 or 9 is fine using dvd2one!