1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

my dvds stopped copying

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by nuschmu, Apr 26, 2005.

1. nuschmu

nuschmu Member

Im new to the world of dvd copying, did my first last week using dvdshrink and then into sonic record now!, no problems at all, then the second time a few days later instead of making a fully usable dvd disc all I got was a data disc with a load of .ifo and .bup etc files... cnat understand whats happended, Ive uninstalled dvdshrink , reinstalled it, tried dvd encryter (?) (cant remmeber the actual name), tried using system restore etc but no joy....
    the writer is LITE ON DVDRW SOHW-1633S, which I've seen metinoned a few times on here. Cant undertsand why it worked fine first time then went wrong?, some folk have spoke of a firmware update? is this what i need? how do i do it.. etc...is there another way I can solve this? any help will be very gratefully recived..
    cheers

2. nuschmu

nuschmu Member

just me again, i forgot to say I dont get any error message or anything coming up...

3. steve11

steve11 Member

you havent given to much information for anyone to help,

you mention you are using record now, are you burning the IFO and BUP files while they are still in the VIDEO_TS folder,

i think record now will burn DVD video files , but they probably have to be have the AUDIO_TS and VIDEO_TS files included

4. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

Hi nuschmu,
    You can get the latest firmware update here. http://www.liteonamericas.com/us/download.htm Why don't you use dvd decrypter to burn the ISO made by dvd shrink and save a step. Dvd shrink will also burn automatically with nero if set up to do so. I imagine sonic record now will work but is really not necessary. Here are some good guides courtesy of bbmayo and scuba pete. I thought I had bbmayo's, have to find it, here's pete's.
    http://www.dvdplusvideo.com/petesguide2.html

Edit: here's bbmayo's http://home.comcast.net/~bbmayo/index.html

Last edited: Apr 26, 2005
  5. nuschmu

nuschmu Member

thanks for the advice, Ill try some when i get home, I have been coyping the IFO and BUP files from the VIDEO-TS folder, should I copy the folder itself and the AUDIO one too (which is empty)rather than opening them up?..
    someone metioned burning from dvd decrypter, is that possible?...I haven't got Nero and Im loathe to buy it if I can avoid spending the money...
    (still confused that it worked once and then stopped). Again - thanks for the firmware update, how do i do this?, will it knacker my new computer..lol? anywya thanks for the help so far, much appreciated.

6. nuschmu

nuschmu Member

again.. another ps..
    if i do use dvdecrypter, will the dvds be playable on my dvd machine or just on the computer?

7. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

Both as long as you don't have any issues with media compatability. Use good high quality, proven media. It's a good idea to start with a few rw's untill you get the hang of things.

How to set up dvd shrink to burn with dvd decrypter: after you have opened disc or file and selected what you want to copy, click backup. Another menu box will appear < click on target device < in the select backup target drop down menu select ISO image file and burn with dvd decrypter. Click ok.

Edit:
    Download the latest update. make sure you choose your dvdrw. Make sure your dvdrw doesn't have a disc in it. Just follow the on screen directions. It will walk ya through.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2005
  8. nuschmu

nuschmu Member

Success! thanks everyone, especailly Mort, I ripped it using dvdshrink then burned it with dvd encryter and everythings seems so easy now...your helps been much appreciated, cheers

9. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

You are very welcome. Glad to see you're up n runnin (burning). Let us know if we can be of any further assistance. and welcome to AD.

10. squizzle

squizzle Active member

In case you would still like to try with RecordNow (which I personally am not too fond of), here's how I do it. Burn as data but grab the whole VIDEO_TS folder, not just its contents.

11. tekbright

tekbright Member

On dvd shrink try unchecking the box at the bottom (Create vob). That will make VTS and VOB folders if checked. Use Nero 6 ultra or Roxio 7.
    Thats when you create a Backup and select the folder to put the movie in.

12. nuschmu

nuschmu Member

thanks squibble and mort.