1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My Dvds won't But yours will ---Someone Help!!!!!!

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by dtslammer, Nov 9, 2004.

1. dtslammer

dtslammer Member

Now if someone else burns the dvd it will play in my rca rc5910p dvd player-- but if I burn the dvd-r/+r on my lite-on dvd-rw burner they won't play on my rca but they will play on my Apex. Now I am "bafuld" because the apex was much cheaper and even thought the instruction guide says that it will not play dvd-r/+r it plays the one thats someone else burns so please help me understand

PS-it not the media I have tried almost everything out there as well as different software.
    Please help me

2. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

dtsslammer,
    That is not uncommon that the cheapo stand-alone dvd player will play dvd-+r's while the expensive sophisticated stand-alone dvd player will not. One thing you can try (if your dvdrw is capable) is to booktype dvd+r media to dvd-rom. This will make your media much more compatable but is not a fool proof guarantee.

3. dtslammer

dtslammer Member

mort81
    thanks for the response but can you enlighten me on just how to accomplish task

thanks in advance

4. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

What is the make and model of your dvdrw? Some drives are not capable of doing this eg: Pioner.

5. dtslammer

dtslammer Member

without these forums I don't know what I would do.

well I have a lite-on sohw-8125 (which I was told was good one to invest in) and I hope you will say the same. If not, what do I need to get because I'm so confuse on this all so simple thing.

?#2-Can you change the book type on dvd-r media to dvd-rom?? although I really do not believe this is the problem because as I said if some else burns the disk regardless of the media it will play on both stand alones-but the ones I burn will only work on the cheapo

6. dtslammer

dtslammer Member

?#3- what a multi-layere dvd-r and is it possibe thatsoftware that I am using is layering the dvd-r/+r media that I am using??

?#4- and can dvdinfopro help solve the stand alone compatibility problems I am having with my burning??
    thanks in advance

7. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

dtslammer,

There is nothing wrong with that dvdrw, I have the same one. One thing to note, Lite-ons prefer dvd+r media.
    No only dvd+r and dvd+rw. Your dvdrw is capable of changing booktype of +r media to dvd-rom. Here's a link to a site where you can get a tool called omnipatcher. They can help you get it up and running. I use it all the time for autobitsetting, write strategies, media tweaks, and cross flashing.
    http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=97590
    These are known as dvd-9 and although they are available they are very expensive. That is what most pressed new originals are these days.
    No but it is a nice proggy to have to determine media codes and check for write errors and its free :).

Last edited: Nov 10, 2004
  8. dtslammer

dtslammer Member

Thanks alot i'll definitely look into that

Thanks again

9. flip218

flip218 Moderator Staff Member

out of all that you didn't mention which software your using.

10. dtslammer

dtslammer Member

I used dvd decrypter, Dvd snrink, dvd x copy, & imgtool burn

11. flip218

flip218 Moderator Staff Member

Well ditch XCopy, because the backups will not play on your RCA player.

I know you don't think media is in question, but you need to make sure your using the same media as your friends. Verify which format and which brand. I would start there.

I have an RCA5215 and it will not play backups made with XCopy, but will with other methods of backing up dvds.

BTW, what brand of media have you tried?