1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

my dvd's wont playback on home dvd player

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by NERFKHAT, Feb 22, 2005.

1. NERFKHAT

NERFKHAT Member

i have been tryin for 2 wks trying to figure out why my dvds wont play on my dvd players after im done authoring and burnin them.. i have used nerovision express and dvdlabpro. it works fine when i play on my computer but when i stick it in the reg. player it says "playback prohibited"..does anyone know what is wrong?

2. scf_au

scf_au Regular member

This is not an uncommon problem for people around here. Possible causes:
    1) media problem: sometimes changing the media might solve this problem.
    2) format incompatibility (e.g. -/+R, RW): check the manual of your dvd player
    3) dvd player of older models: dvd players made several years back might have problems playing burnt copies done on pcs.
    Hope this helps.

3. brobear

brobear Guest

scf_au
    Good points on compatibility issues. That's what your 3 listings are all about.

NERFKHAT
    Giving the brand and model of the player would be some helpful information. How old is this player and what brand, speed and format is the media?

4. movies27

movies27 Regular member

Try using a different program to copy the movie..I had the same problem when i used Clone dvd.

5. NERFKHAT

NERFKHAT Member

ok when i use 1clickdvdcopy with dvdr+ it doesnt play in my memorex but the sony plays, when i burn on to dvdr- it works on both players, this is only copying but when i author one it doesnt work on either..and i tried only authorin on the + so far maybe i can try a neg..? when i try to author using the interdvdcreator it gets error and doesnt even end up burning...so i thats why i tried the dvdlabpro..and it burned fine..but when i tried playin it it doesnt work, only on the computer.

6. movies27

movies27 Regular member

Try using Icopy dvd or either dvd shrink ... they work fine for me & play on everything.

7. brobear

brobear Guest

Shrink does correct some minor structural errors, so it's worth a try. ICopy?

I've seen one instance of this problem. A friend burned some movies once. The only difference was media and burner. I'd used the same manufacturer's disc (different brand). We have computer's by Dell, but different burners. Same software. The movies he recorded wouldn't play on my Samsung standalone, but do on my new Philips. As a test, I copied one of the DVDs on my burner. The copy of the friend's disc played where the backup he'd brought over wouldn't. One of those little mysteries I still haven't figured out.

Point being, I realize this can happen and sometimes it's hard to find the cause. In my case, it may be something different about the burners. Hope you get it worked out.

Sometimes the solution is a new player. Some of the new cheapies play better than the high priced older equipment. My Philips cost about $69 and some players can be had for about half that. BTW, those discs my friend brought over, they played great on the Philips, leading me to think it wasn't the media.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 25, 2005
  8. NERFKHAT

NERFKHAT Member

well i took one of the authored movies and copied it over to a dvd-r and it worked..cuz i thought it wouldnt since i did copy some movies over onto dvd+r and it only worked on my sony player. but when i authored one and burned it on a + it wouldnt play on anything.so i think the trick was it being burned on dvd-r.

9. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Nerfkhat,
    Check out the link in my signature this will help you in backing up DVD's. The other note is that your DVD player probably only supports the -R, but seen how you havent told us the model number of that sony player we can't be sure. It could just be the media brand you are using. Memorex is crap and just about everyone on here will tell you that.

10. brobear

brobear Guest

BBmayo,
    It would have been nice if we'd been given some model numbers. I think NERFKHAT proved the media compatibility issue to himself. I know most don't like the memorex, but I didn't see where any brands were mentioned, just the formats. The only mention I saw of Memorex by NERFKHAT appeared to be a player. The Memorex hardware is usually pretty good "stuff", though I'll agree they appear to have let the media quality go down hill. If I was NERFKHAT, I'd check the burner firmware, just to see if it's up to date.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 25, 2005
  11. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

You ar e absolutly right BroBear!! My bad!! I was rushing and thought he said he used Memorex media... Disregard my last post, but Memorex media is Crap!! LOL

12. brobear

brobear Guest

I wouldn't question that one. LOL

13. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

WHAT!!!! BroBear not question something?? I'm Floored!!

LMAO :)

Peace BroBear

14. brobear

brobear Guest

Hmmm. Thought I agreed with you fairly often. Sounds like you want me to reconsider. roflmao ;)

15. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Heyyy I said Peace!! :) Be nice now...

LMAO !!!

OK lets be serious again for a second. Truth be told BroBear I idolize you!!! I wanna be you some day!!!

LMAO again :) OK OK I'm done
    Take care Bro

16. brobear

brobear Guest

bbmayo
    "My enemies are the enemies of my friends." lmfao Now you've gone and allowed the Brobear Hater Society to zero in on you. Said only half seriously. Seems I gather detractors as well as supporters.

17. brobear

brobear Guest

See de tractor, see de tractor run over the bear. Ouch!!!