1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My files have disappeared.

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by JB147JB, May 3, 2007.

1. JB147JB

JB147JB Member

Tonight I plugged in my external hard drive to access a few files but the files had gone, as in the folder's still there but the files are missing!

Now I tried the 'Show hidden files' thing but it still hasn't worked so it must be something else.

Also, this is very unusual but every time I make a new folder in that specific folder and I refresh, the folder I just made disappears!

Does anybody have any idea as to what might be the problem?

My operating system is Windows XP Home edition.

Total capacity of drive: 465 GB.
    Free space: 86 GB.
    Used space: 378 GB.
    File System: NTFS

BUT, when I open the drive and I highlight all the folders the total size on there is 272GB instead of 378. So the files are still there somewhere but I've searched everywhere. Each and every folder but can't find them. Like I said, every time I make a new folder in the 'empty' folder and refresh the page, the folder I have just created disappears.

The same must have happened with these files as well.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. 3lement

3lement Regular member

You could have a virus on the drive or the external drive could be going bad. how old is it?

3. blackvamp

blackvamp Regular member

try plug your external hard drive to another computer. if it still happens, then try open the file using pathlink, go to my computer, click on the address bar and enter a path to a file like E:/My Movies/Pr0n!!

E:/ is your external hard drive.