1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My Findings Using Viper with Cobra 1.1 Bios and Different Media

Discussion in 'Nintendo Gamecube - General discussion' started by sat101, May 1, 2005.

1. sat101

sat101 Member

Hello, I am new here and this is my first post. I just got my Viper a few days ago and installed it shortly after receiving it. I flashed it with Cobra 1.1 bios and burned my first game with Nero and tried it and all went well. The game I burned was Pikman 2 on memorex media I bought from the local wally world. The game played fine with no DREs whatsoever so far. Then I burned Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door on the same media. After playing it for a short time I received a DRE. I got on the net and noticed that several people had posted at various forums about having DREs with paper mario. Some people said to use different media and to burn at slow speeds. So I had a 100 pack of HP DVD+R that I had got from the local Office Max during a big sale for $35.00 with a $5.00 rebate. I saw the disks this cheap so went ahead got them because they are normally like 80 something dollars for a 100 pack. Anyway, I opened the pack of HP DVDs and burned a copy of Paper Mario on one using Nero. Partially through the burning process I noticed I had forgot to reset the burning speed to like 2x or 4x, so it was burning at 8x, maximum speed for the HP DVD+Rs I was using. I figured burning at a speed this fast I would definetly have DRE problems. I went ahead and tried it anyway, and had no problem with the game whatsoever. I played it for a little over 2.5 hours, then let the game cube just sit there with the game running for about 30 minutes then continued to play about 45 minutes after that, and have had no DRE problems at all. After this I have burned:
    Vexx
    WarioWare
    Mario Cart DD
    reburned Pikman 2
    Final Fantasy Chrystal Chronicles
    Super Smash Brothers Melee
    Zelda Windwaker
    Finding Nemo
    Evolution Worlds
    Mario Party 5
    all on the HP DVD+R media at 8x.
    I have not extensively tested any of them yet except for Paper Mario and Pikman 2, but I have played them all for about 20 to 30 minutes each with no problems so far. Also, I was going to tweak my laser while I had my gamecube apart installing the viper. I checked the resitance and it was at 137 ohms from the factory. I decided with a setting that low from the factory that I would just leave it alone. I do not know if this has had an effect on my success with the HP media, or not, but I believe it has. I do know that the memorex media gave me DREs and I had none at all so far with the HP media. So my conclusion is that these disks must be really good quality, and I believe I have a well tweaked laser from the factory. If anyone is having trouble with DREs I would suggest trying this media, and possibly setting your laser pot to about 137 ohms, to see if it corrects your problems, not saying that it will, but I have had great success with this.

2. sat101

sat101 Member

Sorry, but I forgot to include that these disks were all burned with a HP Lightscribe DVD Writer 640B.

sat101

3. lyte

lyte Member

what is the code for the discs?

4. bbking67

bbking67 Member

Most DVD+R media will work fine on my DOL-101. I have excellent results with Ritek/Ridata G05 as well (DVD-R).

I bought some Optodisc mini DVD-R's and they will not woerk correctly burned on a Sony 4X or LG 16X Burner, but when burned on a Pioneer they will work, but with frequent DRE's.

My setting for the laser is around 190. I have tried different settings but it doesn't seem to matter much in my case.

/bbking67

5. omegajedi

omegajedi Guest

Since you seem to know what you are doing, can you let me know what walkthrough you used to set everything up. Was it from this site, or elsewhere?

6. sat101

sat101 Member

@lyte

The code from the disk using nero info tool is CMC MAG E01

@omegajedi

I used the viper manual I downloaded from divineo. All it is is 3 pictures going over the procedure showing before and after photos. It is really a simple install. Let me know if you need more information.

7. omegajedi

omegajedi Guest

Thanks man. I just downloaded the manual so I will start reading up. I might get back to you in a month if I need assistance. Don't have the cash to start it this month.

8. PCald

PCald Member

Yeah i have tryed a bunch of things and i still get the DREs , but they have been on the same media (fujifilm mini DVD-r)so im going to try changing the brand. Also the same thing has happend to me with the speed, i burnt the disk at 8x and it worked (but with alot DREs) so i tryed burning the same thing at a slower speed, and for some reason the game dident work. I have 1 question though that has notthig to do with the burning of disks, sat101 were do u get your GC games from, or n e 1 eles that knows a good spot.

Thank you for your time P-Cald