1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My first DVD burner, what is it capable off?

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by dakotadvd, Mar 12, 2005.

1. dakotadvd

dakotadvd Member

Hi,
    I just picked up my first dvd writer.
    It's a HP DVD530i. Wal-mart had then on clearance for $35 so I decided to try one out.

I have my new DVD writer installed in my computer.
    ----------------------------------
    Intel Pentium 4 CPU 1.80GHz

Samsung DVD-ROM SD-616T

512 for Ram

11GB of free space on a 40 GB hard drive.
    -------------------------------------

I made a back up of some gps software I had on two cd-roms.

Everything seem to work ok.

A few questions I had right from the start was what blank DVD's to buy when I was at the store.

DVD-R or DVD+R?

What can I do with DVD-R that I can't with DVD+R and vice versa?

I picked up two Sony DVD-RW to start with and also a 15 pack of Maxell DVD-R.

I have not open the Maxell DVD-R yet, so if they are no good please let me know and I can return them. :)

Some things I want to do with my DVD writer is make back ups of CD-ROMs that are on more then one disk and if my computer is up to it make back ups of my DVD movies.

Will I have any problems making back ups of my DVD movies with what I have to work with?

Thanks in advance for taking the time to help me out.
    I really do appreciate the help,
    jp

2. Jeanc1

Jeanc1 Guest

From the Hp Site for your burner --

Minimum System Requirements
    800MHz Intel® Pentium® III processor or equivalent, 1.6GHz Intel® Pentium® 4 processor or equivalent recommended (Actual drive performance depends on PC configuration); 128MB RAM (256MB recommended for video editing); 1024x768 video resolution with a minimum of 16 bit color required for ArcSoft ShowBiz® DVD, Minimum hard disk space requirements: 650MB free for included software installation,[bold] 10 GB free for DVD video disc creation [/bold], Internet connectivity recommended for s/w updates, Video capture: IEEE 1394 interface or analog video capture card required

you have 11G and the minimum is 10 ~~ you are asking for problems . Your HD is already up to its usable capacity -- as it now, defragmenting must be a problem or soon will be.

DVD+R can be written to faster; it is a newer protocol for media.You can do on either the same things.

There is no economy to be made by getting the cheapest -- Tayo Yuden are well rated , dont spare on media , it is very important.

3. dakotadvd

dakotadvd Member

Well I thought my gps software back up to the dvd worked, but it does not.

It made a copy of the files to my harddrive and the file name was Image.nrg

I then tried to burn the Image.nrg file to the dvd.
    It said burn done, but then I could not install my gps program from the dvd I just made.

I have also been trying to use the dvd software that I got with the dvd writer.

It's called RecordNow by Sonic.

Using there software I have tried to back up my .jpg file, gps program and a DVD movie, not all at once.

Anything I try I get the message;
    Please insert an appendable data disc and try again and it ejects the DVD out.

I have tried the DVD-RW and DVD-R.

Any idea's why it's not taking the disk I put in there?

This has not been as easy as I first thought it was going to be.
    Thanks,

4. Zippy84

Zippy84 Member

Well to solve your GPS Software problem You cant just copy all the files form 2 CDs to your HD and then burn them to a DVD....when a program is written and is made for multiple discs those 2 discs are written into its "code". So when you try to install it...that program looks for that other cd...and so when it cant find another cd it runs into the problem your having...You could create two images (one for each CD) and burn the images to a dvd (using data dvd format NOT "burn an image" mode) and using Daemon tools to load each omage up separately, but thats too long of a post on how to do it for right now (if you want to know PM me and ask). But to be honest...with the cost od CD-r's compared to DVD+-Rs youre better off just cpoying them to CD its a lot cheaper

5. Hallywood

Hallywood Regular member

As far as backing up your DVD collection, download Shrink,Decrypter and the trial version of AnyDVD then read the guides. DVD backup is pretty simple and the guides here at AD are great.
    It is a matter of personal preference when it comes to +R vs. -R DVDs. I like DVD-R
    Good Luck,
    HW.

6. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

???? really???

7. Jeanc1

Jeanc1 Guest

@BBmayo

It's a long technical explanation that would support that statement I made ! So spare Me the typing.

But have a look on an article written by a fellow engineer of mine at this place :-
    http://www.cdfreaks.com/article/113

Pay attention to the paragraph that explains the Wobble Frequency of the two formats -- that is the difference which permits transcription to a Dvd+R media an avantage over the old DVD-R format.

There use to be an advantage to the DVD-Format because it was the first protocol used in the market and most apparatus were compatible with it -- that is no longer so as all manufacturers of DVD Players have now made their equipement compatible to both format. -""only older players can not play DVD+R""- It wont be long before you see the DVD-R format totally dropped. Industries such as ours have already stopped using any DVD-R.

8. dakotadvd

dakotadvd Member

Zippy84,
    I downloaded Alcohol 120% and then read your post about why I could not copy my gps software like I was trying to do.

I then started to play with Alcohol 120%. I create two images (one for each CD)using Alcohol. I then took each image and mounted it to a virtual drive.

I then went back to my software that came with the dvd writer and used the data dvd format to copy the two virtual drives to the dvd.

I then tried to install my gps software from the one DVD I just burned and it worked!

I'm guessing I could have done all this with Alcohol if I learn some more about it.

Anyway thanks for pointing me in the right direction. :)

Hallywood,
    I'm looking into what you said and will give it a try.
    thanks,

bbmayo,
    I took a look at your website
    http://home.comcast.net/~bbmayo/index.html
    I like the step by step and screen shots very much.
    I will be sure to give it a try too.

I know putting my gps software on the dvd is not the cheapest way to do it, but I have a number of two or three disk sets of gps software that I want to put all on one dvd.

So after hours of playing around I got a burned DVD that works!

Thanks everyone,
    jp

9. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

@Jeanc1,
    That was a good read.. thanks for the reply.. :)

10. bigdnl

bigdnl Member

I jus received mine also and learned so much about them, there very unquie, altho i dont understand the whole dual layer b/s.

11. dakotadvd

dakotadvd Member

bbmayo,
    I used the The Mayo Method to Back up DVD's and it worked great!

Just wanted to tell you thanks,
    jp

12. dakotadvd

dakotadvd Member

13. pulsar

pulsar Active member

Jeanc1, top reading! Always willing to learn. There are some clever people out there. It puts my inferior knowledge to shame.

Pulsar

14. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

dakotadvd,
    Glad your happy and I could be of service :)