1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My flashed xbox just broke - should I send it to MS?

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 - Modding & Hacking' started by Brodde, Jul 18, 2007.

1. Brodde

Brodde Member

Today I got the 1 red light (errorcode E74) on my xbox and tried to do everything to fix it w/o opening the console. Then I called customer support and they told me that I should send in the console to get it repaired for free.

So my question is if they'll notice that my xbox is flashed and if its any idea to reflash it to its original software before I send it in.

IF any of you have sent your flashed consoles to MS-repair, what was your outcome?

2. lilg_06

lilg_06 Regular member

Firsly, its unfair that you send your console back, since you have voided your warranty, but I'm not here to tell you what to do, lol.

You can send it in if you want, but I dont think they will fix it if the seal at the front of the xbox is damaged, I have never had to have my 360 fixed, never had an issue with it, what you can try is flash the drive back to its original firmware following the normal procedure, as long as the drive gets power when the 360 is powered on, despite the error message, you can flash it back to its original fw, the E74 error has something to do with one of the scaler chips, as mentioned on another site, so you should definitely be able to flash the original fw back, once thats done send it in, but the 36o u get back from MS might not have a flashable drive, so you will not be able to play backups. :(

3. thegrunt

thegrunt Regular member

My 360 just arrived to the repair center today,it has no warranty sticker and has error e74 and 3 red lights.I hope they fix it but you should flash it back and send it

4. thegrunt

thegrunt Regular member

Here just got an email from Microsoft
    Just send it in

Last edited: Jul 18, 2007
  5. steimy

steimy Active member

if the security sticker in not damaged they should fix it free, if it is your going to be out of warranty, and out $140 for the repairs. But with Microsift having so many problems i am not sure how much flexibility they are giving people these days so that they may keep their reputation good with consumers.

6. lilg_06

lilg_06 Regular member

Does microsoft ask for the reciept of the 360 when you send it in for repair?

7. thegrunt

thegrunt Regular member

Nope,just youre number,address,name,and the problem:)

8. lilg_06

lilg_06 Regular member

I thought warranty was useless without the reciept, I lost the reciept for my 360, I bought it around a year ago, it was a limited fifa world cup edition, Microsoft has extended their warranty now, so if anything happens to it, is it still covered, I have not reciept?

9. thegrunt

thegrunt Regular member

No you do not need it,and yes its still covered

10. Memnock

Memnock Active member

They extended the warranty 3 years and expect to lose $1 billion dollars on the replacement/repairs. They don't care about the seals or receipts at this point.

11. lilg_06

lilg_06 Regular member

Ok, cool, guess I dont need to worry so much about the red lights issue then. thanks for the info.

12. Brodde

Brodde Member

Thnx for the info guys. I guess I have no other option then reflashing it to the original fw and sending it in.
    BTW what do you mean by saing that they might send me an xbox that is not flashable? I thought that all 360s could be flashed.

13. lilg_06

lilg_06 Regular member

Most can be flashed, not all the benq and philip drives, as far as I know, maybe they can now, but its not straight forward, same with the hitachi v79, its not a straight forward flash, you need to desolder the tsop and flash it using an external programmer, or you need to buy a key kit, that you solder to the drive, it enables mode b, and allows it to be flashed normally as any other hitachi drive.