1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

my G5 doesn't seem to let FFMpeg or Toast convert AVI

Discussion in 'Video problems with Mac' started by oleus, Apr 14, 2005.

1. oleus

oleus Member

with Toast - if i put an AVI into a project to burn, it does the encoding (long process) but when burning should start, i get a "Mac OS failure" message and i have to force quit toast.

with FFMpeg, i get "improper input codec" when i try and convert an AVI.

am i doing something wrong?

2. epepper9

epepper9 Regular member

3. oleus

oleus Member

i'm just wondering why Toast won't do it either...i'm told either one (toast or ffmpeg) should convert the avi files (i've tried different files, different sizes, etc).

could there be something about my new machine that is screwing with the the dvi encoding?

PS - i can watch the files fine in DVC player.

4. epepper9

epepper9 Regular member

Make sure you are using the right codec under the 'video' tab. There are ffmpeg and mencoder ones. I don't think its a problem with your mac, some .avi files are just plain annoying. Have you tried doctoring it with 'divx doctor' ? Its worth a shot.

I emailed the creator of ffmpegx a few days ago, there is a new version out in a couple of weeks (0.0.9t). That will have some fixes, so that's about all I can suggest. Good luck.

Cheers

5. oleus

oleus Member

epepper - i will try divx doctor.

i resinstalled FFMpeg....was actually able to encode the avi but now i am having problems with audio. argh!

maybe i should just stay away from avi's!?

6. epepper9

epepper9 Regular member

There was a separate audio extracter some people were using when they had troubles, but then they had problems of it getting in Sync. My file format hatelist contains .avi and .wmv files. Most of them are a windows based, not the mac based .avi.

7. oleus

oleus Member

i tried divxdoctor and that seems to do the trick with the avi's - unfortunately what looked good on my computer screen looks horrible on DVD on my TV. i think the conversion from .avi to .mov just causes too many problems in general.

thanks for the info though....now i know to avoid AVI with my mac if possible.

8. mediaguru

mediaguru Regular member

For the most part I think avi's suck. When you go from a format like that to dvd, the screen size is generally much bigger. So you'll get pixelation big time. Plus the frame rates are usually way different...more pixelation.

Those little movie files you download from the web are usually best kept in that format and size.