1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My GC Power LED Mod

Discussion in 'Nintendo Gamecube - General discussion' started by RTi, Jan 23, 2005.

1. RTi

RTi Member

just a couple of pics to show my power led mod.. tell me what you think.. :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. myname2

myname2 Member

Pretty sweet! Ive got a black GC coming in the mail, I plan to change the led to either white or green.

3. kreg

kreg Member

that is a cool simple idea. can you please tell me the specs like what voltage and current rate to buy? i think i'll replace mine too.

-kreg

4. RTi

RTi Member

5. grmbl

grmbl Regular member

old one...
    this one's cool:
    [​IMG]

did mine a few days ago: platinum with blue led... =) totally sweet dude

6. ssjowowo

ssjowowo Member

check out my gamecube..originally purple, painted it and done the led mod, now trying to place leds around the fan, controller ports and air venting space..i painted it in summer and the paint still survived scratches and hits without cracking :) (colour scheme after Honda NSX-R!! i love this car)
    [​IMG]
    http://www.ps2ownz.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=3830

Last edited: Jan 25, 2005
  7. L-Burna

L-Burna Active member

I have been planning on doing this mod to my GameCube,and was thinking of using a blinking LED.I haven't seen anyone do this yet.Whenever your turn on the GameCube the power LED will flicker looks pretty tight.I am going to use a blue LED that flickers when I am done with it.I am also going to apply a skin to my GameCube that will give it better looks hopefully.I would paint my Cube,but don't really feel like waiting on the paint to dry.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2005
  8. myname2

myname2 Member

Thats a cool idea. I have been planning to cut out the top of my GC where the jewel is a replace it w/ plexiglass, but i was wondering if there was a way to put an led under the lid. Ive seen it done, but dont know how. can anyone help?

9. L-Burna

L-Burna Active member

I am not really positive about this,but maybe you can replace the fan inside of the cube with one of the sunbeam fans.The ones normally inside of computers that lights up.I am not really certain about this though.I would have to look at the power supply to the fan to see if it would work.I think all you really have to do is take the LED circle from the sunbeam fans and you might have to drill a small hole where the jewel is at and lead the wires out from the hole where the jewel is at to get to the fan power supply.I agree with you though when I go to do my LED mod I will see if I can figure out a way on making the jewel light up.I was trying to find a site that has clear 3D lasercut jewels for the GC like the Xbox has,but I can't find a place.I might try to email the people at www.xport1.com to see if I can customize a jewel.I was also thinking about applying my skin to my GameCube,but I might wait until the new top lid comes out that supports big sized Dvd discs before applying the skin.

10. myname2

myname2 Member

Like I said, Im going to completely replace it. But if you really want a clear jewel, all you have to do is pop it off, there are 2 pins under the lid. squeeze them togeher and it will pop off. the seperate the 2 sides, and sand the grey side of the top half until you have a clear jewel, in theory it would work. its just like the lid logo mod, but take the whole thing off. then youd just have to dissasemble your case and cut a hole in the lid.

11. kreg

kreg Member

i've been doing some online shoping, but i'm not finding the led i'm confident about. can you please show me where to buy a recommended led such as the blue one you have installed?

thank you.
    -kreg

12. L-Burna

L-Burna Active member

I was reading up on the power LED mod,and it seems as if the LED is only getting around 4V.I guess this is the reason why nobody has attempted to put in a flashing power LED,and would be taking a chance if done.If the LED is lower than 2.5V you can risk cooking the LED.If the LED is over 4V you are taking the risk of having a dim LED or not even working LED.The blue flashing LED I was looking at is 3mm,and can max out at around 10V(which is not good at all).I am thinking this is way to high of a voltage rate to put this LED in so I might switch to one of those super bright low LED without the flashing.The place I am looking at right now is called http://www.superbrightleds.com ,but I am sure you can find a better LED supplier.I just googled and picked this one up at random kreg,not sure if it is a legit business though.I personally couldn't tell you if they will do good business.

13. L-Burna

L-Burna Active member

14. kreg

kreg Member

awesome thanks! >: ) i'll post a pic when it's done.

15. grmbl

grmbl Regular member

lol, now that everybody's opening their gamecube to install the Viper.. they're all modding the led too! =)

16. L-Burna

L-Burna Active member

Well not really grmbl the orange power LED sucks man.I would do this mod even if there was no mod for the Cube.I almost did the region switch mod which I am glad I didn't do,because that would have been a pain in the arse to desolder all that junk for the Viper mod.I would also like to work on LEDs on the front jewel face like myname2 has mentioned.I did a jewel mod for my Xbox with a 80mm Blue Sunbeam fan looks pretty tight,also changed the jewel with a Xecuter 2 jewel.The jewel looks like this on my Xbox [​IMG] .I was looking for a type of jewel like this for the GC,but I don't think they make them or are not selling them.The mod LED mod I did to my xbox isn't hard to do,just looking for a solution close to what I did so I can use it on the GameCube.

17. grmbl

grmbl Regular member

r.e.s.p.e.c.t =)
    Maybe i'll mod my brothers Xbox too cuz he liked my blue led also! And I have a PS2(slimline) for 5 days now (impulsive buy from girlfriend, lol) and i'm going to mod it too i think... I'm still waiting for my modchip to arrive (out of stock-stats!) for my cube and couldn't wait to open it and change the led. =)
    btw: for burning isos with nero -> do i have to turn on smart-burn and all that sjazit??? What the heck, i'll have to be more patient and test it when chip arrives.

grtz

18. L-Burna

L-Burna Active member

Hey grmbl make sure you don't use the Nero startsmart wizard go to your start menu and browse to find Nero Burning Rom in your All Programs selection.If you want to burn them to disc man,just use Nero Burning Rom right.When you open it up it should give you a wizard to select DVD-Rom (ISO),DVD-Copy,Dvd-Video and alot more features,but you can ignore it.Close out of the Nero wizard and go to where it says recorder at the top of the program.Scroll down to where it says Burn Image,and the settings should be:

Make sure the type of image is set to Data Mode 1
    Raw Data is unchecked
    Block Size:2048
    Image Header:0
    Image Trailer size:0
    Scrambled and Swapped are unchecked also

The best way to test it out is to backup some of your games,and then use the GCDiscServer program to see if some of them run.If not you can go back and use the Reloc2 program or GCMWipeFix programs to do a FST fix to them so they work proper.I hope this helps you out man.This burning method gives you the option of burning the images as a .nrg,.gcm,or .iso it covers pretty much all of the file types.

I was thinking of modding my PS2,not the slim one,but the big one with EL Wire coming from the PS2 logo on it.The problem with the system is the fact that it doesn't have alot of space man,so it is hard to fit anything inside of it.The EL Wire looks like this man [​IMG] it looks like it would work perfect for the PS2 logo no doubt,and can be cut to fit any size if needed.Another thing that would also work is the fan inside of it.I think maybe by replacing the fan you could put a LED fan inside,but it would have to be pretty small to fit or adjustments would have to made.

My Xbox is pretty tight man I have the upgraded fan that connects on the right side of it.Then I went and replaced the inside fan with a 80mm CCFL fan which has a blue cold cathode that connects to my jewel.I went and took some sandpaper also and gave my jewel what is called a frost effect also.I have a switch that comes out the back of my Xbox also that gives me the option to turn the cold cathode on and off.The rest of the modding I did is pretty self explainatory upgraded hdd and some other stuff to it,but nothing really special.

Hopefully I can start modding on my GC soon so I can show you all what it looks like,but still need to get some supplies to start on it.

19. grmbl

grmbl Regular member

Last edited: Feb 15, 2005
  20. indienemo

indienemo Guest

I really dont think I could be doing this guys... Purely because I have already f*cked up the case badly enough... I have cut a hole through the back, plus removed the fan grill... I have cut a hole out through the side oppo the fan side. If i was gonna do anything I would buy a gamecube vinyl skin off ebay.co.uk they look pretty tite..