1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My hard drive space goes down and down........

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by suggs108, Apr 28, 2004.

1. suggs108

suggs108 Member

i am running record now max and dvd x plat on windows me. i have had to wipe my hard drive and start again as my hard drive keeps getting small and smaller!!! ive checked temp path to clear old files. I only use this pc for burning dvds using these two programs. Anyone have any ideas. Disc cleanup detects nothing????

2. Obewone

Obewone Member

yeah, if you are saving your backups to the hard drive and not deleting them after you burn them, then yeah your unused space shrinks at 4.35g each time you do a backup. it doesn't take long to fill up a hard drive at that pace.....

Obewone

3. jim_dandy

jim_dandy Active member

hi suggs108
    If you have norton system works,norton has what is called norton protected files.If you right click the recycle bin, you will find them their(stupid feature imo).Just delete the so called protected files,and your good to go again.
    If this isnt your problem,then,as obewone said (use the force luke)lol. At 4 gigs a movie,it doesnt take long to use up a hard drive.
    good luck and welcome to the club
    jim

4. suggs108

suggs108 Member

Thanks. I dont have Norton Systemworks. is there any other way i can delete these files? when i go to temp where they should be stored the folder is clear. thanks for your time guys!!!!

5. pudgy

pudgy Member

Hey Suggs,

I had that problem, looked in my temp folder and it was clear. apparently and why I don't know but the 8 gigs I lost was a hidden file. Go to your start and run a search for movie titles you have recently burned,thats how I found the files. And make sure after a burn you delete the files.

good luck

6. suggs108

suggs108 Member

Thanks, tried that as well, but nope...nothing HEEEEEEEEELLLLLLLP!

7. mblue

mblue Guest

I haven't used ME in a few years, but have you disabled the system restore feature? That was a sure fire way to have HD space disappear.

8. suggs108

suggs108 Member

I've turned it off, it hasnt reduced any so ill try and burn again to see if it increases.Thanks

9. mblue

mblue Guest

Did you just tuen if off? If so you will have to delete the privious restore points.

10. suggs108

suggs108 Member

how do i do that????

11. movie_777

movie_777 Member

suggs,

I had that problem and I think I had to reinstall everything for it to go away. I searched all over the place for a fix but was unable to find anything. Try downloading the program Treesize which will list every file in your system and how much space it is taking. It will even list the hidden files.

Anyway, let me describe what happened to me. I don't remember what I was doing but I suddenly get this message saying that my disc is out of space. I was perplexed because I knew I had plenty of space. So I ran scandisk and I saw my space go back to normal. Then I opened My Computer and stared at the number telling you the space on the C drive. All of the sudden I see the number get smaller and smaller. Eventually it would reached 0. I had no idea what was going on. I searched the web and Microsoft's site with no answer. So I just reinstalled Windows again and the problem went away.

Is this what you are experiencing? If it is good luck in finding the problem. I would like to know if you do find the culprit because I sure couldn't.

Good luck and I hope this helps.

12. suggs108

suggs108 Member

Very similar mate, i'll download that program see if that helps. any further help would be appreciated posters!!!!!!

13. suggs108

suggs108 Member

Ive made the decision to wipe the drive n start again (2nd time lucky) only this time i'll turn syst restore straight off after installation. hopefully this will work!!!!

14. mblue

mblue Guest

probably the best idea.

15. suggs108

suggs108 Member

Seems to be ok now! fingers crossed eh? turned off systeme restore after i had wiped and installed. cheers