1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

my hitachi 0078fk grinds and clicks on certain backups

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 - Modding & Hacking' started by newbie234, Jan 5, 2008.

1. newbie234

newbie234 Regular member

Hi,

i was playing ym backup of Kane and lynch dead men the other day and when i turned my music off i realised the drive was grinding in like half second bursts constantly like a click,click,click.

also my fight night round 3 backup does the same but not nearly as often...kane and lynch is constant whenever the player is moving or anytihng. the only time it doesnt do it is if its a movie section.

anyone got any ideas as to what it could be?

it plays the backup fine it just makes the grinding noises and im wondering if its worth me trying to fix it (if its possible) or getting a new drive?

2. lilg_06

lilg_06 Regular member

The click noises are coming from the laser, it moves up and down to focus on the disc, a not so good burn or bad quality media can sometimes cause this to happen. Does it happen on all of your backups, or just the two mentioned?

3. newbie234

newbie234 Regular member

hi,

its not bad medai because iove burned them both twice once on cheap medai and ocne of verbatims and they both do exactly the same thing.
    and i even tried my friends version of kane and lynch and the backup of that did exactly the same.

its just fight night round 3 and kane and lynch.

its not like a click...its more of a chk, chk, chk, chk repeatedly throguhout kane and lynch and when fight night round 3 is loading.

is there is there anytihgn ic an try and clean or tighten etc?

i don't really want to delve inot the drive more than i have to as im really inexpereicned with dvd drives and id rather not break it by trying to fix it...il buy a new drive if its nessesary but id like to try and fix it before i do that.

thanks

4. lilg_06

lilg_06 Regular member

I think I might know what the problem is, my brothers 360 had a problem where the disk would slip a little, and cause a very similar noise, to test and see if this is whats causing your problem, get your backup copy of kane and lynch, and put some insulation tape around the inner top rim, small sqaures should do, this will thicken the disk, hence increase the grip with the magnet in the drive, if this stops the grinding noise, then thats where the problem lies, I fixed my brothers drive my covering up the magnet, and spraying car paint lacquer around the spindle, which is on the lid of the drive, this gave it more thickness, and stopped the disk from making grinding noises.

5. newbie234

newbie234 Regular member

hey,

yeah i stuck jsut a tiny square of insulation tape over the inside bit and wrapped it round to the other side and it worked...when i closed the tray it sort of rattled when the disc was spinning up where it wasnt 'settled' but when playing the game there was hardly any noise apart from the normal sort of spinning and stuff.

its strange how this only happens on two of my games when all my other backuops were made from originals on the same batches of discs?

could you explain the way you fixed the problem in a bit more detail please?

thanks

6. lilg_06

lilg_06 Regular member

If you open up the dvd drive, on the lid of the drive, there is a magnet, with a plastic rim that grips the disc, you can see the white circular disk on the bottom right in the pic below:
    http://www.llamma.com/xbox360/repair/samsung-disassembly.htm (Click the twentieth picture down)
    I removed that from the lid of the drive by removing the sticker from the lid, and pulling off the piece holding it down, removing the circulur disk, covered the msgnet in the middle with some tape, and sprayed the rest using lacquer, the lacquer I used was the one used on cars as a finish, after the first coating dried, I applied 3 more, this adds thickness to the plastic grip making it hold your discs to the rotor hub in the drive.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2008
  7. newbie234

newbie234 Regular member

Hi,

that seesm very strange thats why its grinding on jsut that backup with a verb disc and a cheap aone disc???

it seems extremely oddd actualy. Ive burned the backup on a verbatim disc and an aone disc and its exactly the same on both. yet when i put a tiny bit of insulation tape wrapping around the inside it was fine...is that the only fix for it then?

(i dont really want to break my drive...) and i dont really trust myself haha.