1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

my Jixing amp buzzes!

Discussion in 'Receivers and amplifiers' started by necroviz, Apr 18, 2007.

  1. necroviz

    necroviz Guest

    i have Jixing brand amp and when i stick my Epiphone Les Paul Studio in it buzzes like hell and theres no way to stop it except to turn the Tone down all the way on my guitar. turning on distortion makes it buzz even more. help would be appreciated Thanks!
     
  2. janrocks

    janrocks Guest

    Bad grounding.. If you are in the US it's a common thing.. check your mains socket is grounded and your string earth is in good order.. The buzz is mains 60hz being picked up by the strings..

    If that doesn't solve the issue get the equipment and/or power supply checked out by a qualified electrician as this can be quite a dangerous situation. While playing you may be "mains live" to your surroundings.
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 18, 2007
  3. necroviz

    necroviz Guest

    thanks for the info. i was wondering what caused that blown fuse! and when i turn the distortion on it buzzes more. could anyone tell me a good way to ground it, since the amp came with no equipment to do so?
     
  4. janrocks

    janrocks Guest

    Are you running from a 2 pin power socket?
     
  5. necroviz

    necroviz Guest

    3 pin power socket, australia
    EDIT: mains live eh. i was wondering why when i touched an unpainted metal surface i got a shock. i thought that was odd. but i still would like to know how to fix this problem
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 18, 2007
  6. garmoon

    garmoon Regular member

    Joined:
    Oct 7, 2004
    Messages:
    4,841
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    46
    To Fix it, unplug it; before you have to be fixed. It's already shocking you. A good electrician needs to check it out before it kills someone.

    Do this or you'll be truly necronized.
     
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2007
  7. necroviz

    necroviz Guest

    HOLY SHIZZLE! i really need to get it fixed. its already blown 2 fuses. the wiring is probably really stuffed. thanks for your help, janrocks and garmoon, i didnt know i was in risk of electrocution.
    could you recommend a good guitar amp for my epiphone?

    EDIT: looks like i can't rock out with my c*** out anymore :'(
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 18, 2007
  8. janrocks

    janrocks Guest

    Get the house socket checked too.. I have seen all sorts of strange faults.. http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=9800&C=Froogle&U=9800&T=Alias&MA=mains tester
    One of those is a lifesaver, as is an RCD circuit breaker.
    You need to test every socket you intend plugging a piece of equipment into if you are likely to touch it.. Many musicians have been electrocuted fatally by bad mains wiring. Former Yardbirds vocalist Keith Relf dies after being electrocuted while cleaning his guitar at home (some sources say he was playing it in the bath!! I don't believe he would be that stupid) is the most famous example.. I have had a couple of nasty shocks in my time, always from faulty power wiring in clubs and rehearsal rooms, It's not normally the equipment at fault these days.
    Never ever forget that you are holding something which is connected to ram mains.. the strings are connected directly to the amplifier ground rail.. if it's floating or live you are in real danger.

    1973 Nov 26 - Bass player John Rostill of The Shadows is fatally electrocuted while playing guitar in his home studio.
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 18, 2007

Share This Page